Excel help with error bar formula

In summary, the individual is having trouble creating error bars using Excel for a regression problem and has followed their instructor's directions but believes there may be an error. They have added a formula to the formula bar using b30 and b31 for intercept and slope, a2 for x values, and d26 for MS residual. However, instead of getting an error bar above the original line, they are getting the original line. They are asking for assistance in understanding where they went wrong.
akatsafa
I'm trying to create error bars on excel for a regression problem, but something is not working right. I tried following my instructor's directions, but I think something is wrong with them. Here is the formula I added to the formula bar:
$b$30+$b$31*$a2+sqrt($d$26)

b30 and b31 are my intercept + slope, a2 is my x values, and d26 is the MS residual. I should be getting an error bar above my original line, but instead I'm getting the original line. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the error so small that it is no showing up against the thinkness of the line?

I usually calculate the percentage error then enter the value in the options of the graph (right click on trendline, i think)

Hello,

I understand that you are having trouble creating error bars on Excel for a regression problem. Based on the formula you provided, it seems like you are on the right track. However, there are a few things that could be causing the issue you are experiencing.

First, make sure that your data is organized properly and that you have selected the correct cells for your x and y values. If the data is not in the correct format, it can affect the accuracy of your error bars.

Secondly, double check the values you are using for your intercept and slope (b30 and b31). If these values are incorrect, it can also affect the placement of your error bars.

Lastly, check the cell references for your formula. It's possible that you may have accidentally selected the wrong cells, which could be causing the error bars to appear in the wrong location.

If you have checked these things and are still having trouble, please provide more details about your data and the specific steps you are taking. This will help me better understand the issue and provide a more accurate solution.

I hope this helps and good luck with your regression problem!

1. What is an error bar formula in Excel?

An error bar formula in Excel is a function that calculates the margin of error for a specific data point or group of data points. It is used to visually represent the uncertainty or variability in the data.

2. How do I add error bars to my Excel chart?

To add error bars to your Excel chart, first select the data series for which you want to add error bars. Then, go to the "Layout" tab and click on "Error Bars". From the dropdown menu, select "More Error Bar Options" and a new window will appear. Here, you can customize the type, direction, and value of your error bars.

3. How do I calculate error bars in Excel?

To calculate error bars in Excel, you can use the STDEV or STDEV.S function. The STDEV function calculates the standard deviation for a sample of data, while the STDEV.S function calculates the standard deviation for an entire population. Once you have the standard deviation, you can use it to determine the appropriate value for your error bars.

4. Can I customize the appearance of my error bars in Excel?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your error bars in Excel. In the "More Error Bar Options" window, you can change the error bar type (such as standard error, standard deviation, or custom), direction (vertical or horizontal), and end style (cap type and error amount). You can also change the color, thickness, and transparency of your error bars.

5. How do I remove error bars from my Excel chart?

To remove error bars from your Excel chart, simply select the data series with error bars and press the Delete key on your keyboard. Alternatively, you can go to the "Layout" tab, click on "Error Bars", and select "None" from the dropdown menu. This will remove all error bars from your chart.