Excel Plots Labels

joshmccraney
Gold Member
Hi PF!

I'm plotting a log-log plot in excel, and each axis currently lists numbers like 1, 10, 100, 1000. What I would like is ##10^2,10^3##... etc. Any help would be awesome!

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Make a column of the 10**2, 10**3, etc using the superscript font option and then use that column for your labels.

joshmccraney
Gold Member
Thanks for responding phinds! Two problems though: first, let's say in the cell I type ##103## and then highlight the ##3## and superscript it to make ##10^3##. The moment I click on another cell it reverts to ##103##.

Even if I could get this part to work, I don't know how to use that column for my labels. Any ideas?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Thanks for responding phinds! Two problems though: first, let's say in the cell I type ##103## and then highlight the ##3## and superscript it to make ##10^3##. The moment I click on another cell it reverts to ##103##.
Damn. I see what you mean. I THOUGHT I had done this before but maybe not.

Even if I could get this part to work, I don't know how to use that column for my labels. Any ideas?
There again, I feel like it's something I've done in the past but I'm coming up blank right now.

Guess I'm no help at all.

HA! --- Got it on the superscript. You can force the cell to text mode by starting with a single quote and then it will keep the superscript.

OK, I've done half the job, you do the other half and tell us all how. :smile:

Hmmmm ... I coerced it into using the superscripted text cells as axis labels by just using the axis lable edit but it threw away the superscripting. Maybe it can't be done.

joshmccraney
Gold Member
Thanks for all the help! I couldn't figure it out so I ended up importing the graph into PowerPoint and manually placing the axis labels. Since PowerPoint forces images to be aligned, this shockingly worked out very well!

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Thanks for all the help! I couldn't figure it out so I ended up importing the graph into PowerPoint and manually placing the axis labels. Since PowerPoint forces images to be aligned, this shockingly worked out very well!
Good job.

joshmccraney
Gold Member
Good job.
Thanks! It felt really ghetto but whatevero0)

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Thanks! It felt really ghetto but whatevero0)
Hey, if it works, it works.