Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Excel question!

1. Aug 12, 2009 #1

drizzle

Gold Member

:blushing:

using excel (vista) how can I reverse the number to be in degrees rather than radians if I want to use trigonometric functions? I have to reverse the number of the angle in radian to use those functions and I want them to be in degrees, anyone know how, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

=RADIANS (Angle)
    =DEGREES(Angle)

4. Aug 12, 2009 #3

drizzle

Gold Member

thanks mgb_phys, but I have this data of angles [in degrees], and I want to calculate cos/sin of these angles, and I have to convert them to radians in order to get the trigonometric functions correctly, i.e.
    if I type in a cell [=sin(90)] I get this value [0.893997], while [=sin(radians(90))] would give the correct answer which is 1, does it have to be in radians to get those functions correct? is it not possible to have these function in the form of [sin(number in degrees)]?

[I know they would give the same results, but I want them to be in degrees]

5. Aug 12, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes you have to do =sin(radians(90))

6. Aug 25, 2009 #5

vk6kro

Science Advisor

You could just divide the angle in degrees by 57.29577951 to convert to radians.

7. Aug 25, 2009 #6

minger

Science Advisor

You'll find most software, along with computer languages use radians. Might as well get used to it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook