Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Excellent food shows on tv

1. Jun 18, 2013 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I love watching food shows. Especially historic ones. So I thought I'd share some series that I've watched. Many of these are on HULU, not sure how many are on HULU Plus.

Here is a great historical series to get started.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/430517 [Broken]

It's The supersizers go... Its two main characters are a famous UK food critic and a female UK comedienne. I highly recommend this series as they tromp through 2 thousand years of British food.

Please feel free to share any shows you like.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

How about Julia Child and Yan Can Cook?

4. Jun 18, 2013 #3

Evo

Being French myself, we never watched Julia Child as she cooked "fake French" food. She really didn't know what she was doing, and as a result invented "fake french" food, which apparently Americans enjoyed? Did anyone really cook her food? I don't personally like her recipes, as I've eaten the real thing, and her recipes have no resemblance to authentic regional French food. Like her fake "ratatouille", it has nothing to do with real ratatouille, but so many Americans think that's how to make ratatouille. Reviews of it said she wanted to "update it" and make it more appealing to current American cooks. Yeah, like that recipe I found for "sausage and cheese" baklava. :surprised

Yan was very funny. I did enjoy watching Joyce Chen. "Add one tayberspoon emma essa gee" She was great. Was it authentic Chinese, probably not. But she was fun to watch. I never cooked any of her recipes, so have no idea how they tasted.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  5. Jun 18, 2013 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm addicted to MasterChef Australia, I just love the way the show is produced and all the people who participate (hosts, chefs, cooks). That Masterclasses are most fun to watch.

6. Jun 18, 2013 #5

Evo

Yes!! And Masterchef professional UK is about the best contest I've ever seen. The US version is terrible in comparison to those.

7. Jun 18, 2013 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Really? I watched part of an episode of the UK version, but it paled in comparison with Australia. Maybe I should watch it from the beginning to get a better feel for it (or maybe I shouldn't feed the addiction further).

8. Jun 18, 2013 #7

Evo

It was the "professional" series.

9. Jun 18, 2013 #8

Dembadon

Gold Member

We have HuluPlus and need a new show now that we've finished the third season of Game of Thrones. My wife loves cooking shows and I like history, so this sounds like a nice fit. Thanks for sharing!

10. Jun 18, 2013 #9
    This is easy:

1. Chopped

2. Iron Chef America

3. Alton Brown

11. Jun 18, 2013 #10

Evo

Oh, then you two should love this.

12. Jun 18, 2013 #11

jedishrfu

In general, I don't like the food contest shows. The judges are either too highbrow or they tend to humiliate the chefs. The ingredients they give them play with seem too rare to ever be used by anyone (like the rare illness of the week in doctor shows).

I've liked some of the recipes Ive seen but when they pull the fnished dish from underneath the counter I get dismayed knowing I could never cook it.

My speciality is sandwiches: peanut butter, ham n cheese with mayo, mustard and other fixings. Sometimes, I grill stuff too since its Texas after all.

13. Jun 18, 2013 #12

turbo

Gold Member

I can't bear to watch the "cooking" shows, since I grew up under the tutelage of two fantastic cooks. My mother was a killer cook, as was my paternal grandmother (who spent years cooking at the housing of a large log-drive crew). Once you have learned food-prep, canning, and cooking from the best, it's hard to watch the TV shows. Worst of all, the "stars" rave about how good everything tastes, which is problematic because the viewers can't judge the accuracy of their claims.

My grandmother was heavy on the butter and cream, which was OK because those log-drivers could burn it off in no time. My mother kept things lower in fat, but everything tasted good. The best meals IMO were when we had all fresh garden vegetables coming in, and lots of them were quite conducive to steaming.

14. Jun 18, 2013 #13
    Have you ever seen Chopped, Jedi? Once you go chopped, you never go back.

15. Jun 18, 2013 #14

Evo

Tonight it's vegetarian, and one VEGAN guy is all upset because there is local honey. OMG, IT'S AN ANIMAL PRODUCT!! BEES DIE MAKING THIS! I don't know if I can use it, do I refuse to use it for ethical reasons and risk losing?

Hey, buddy, those plants you're cooking died so you could eat them.

P.S. Bees aren't animals.

16. Jun 18, 2013 #15

jedishrfu

oops, bees are animals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bee

unless they are robotic of course.

Honey is peculiar too in that it may have many kinds of toxins from insecticides to pollutants. My dad got sick once when he switched brands from a local one to from another state and we think it was due to that (no proof but it was the only thing he had changed in his diet).

17. Jun 18, 2013 #16

Evo

18. Jun 19, 2013 #17

drizzle

Gold Member

Chef Ramsay. [period]

19. Jun 19, 2013 #18
    I find that hard to believe Ms. Evo. Wasn't that her point from the beginning? She went to France, learned how to cook french, then came back to America and wrote, "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" or something like that. I just cannot believe she did all that and it not be authentic.

My favorite cooking show is Jacques Pepin and I like Julia with him.

20. Jun 19, 2013 #19

Evo

From her biography
    She created "Faux French" for Americans. That was her goal. That is what many chefs do, they adapt foods from one country to the tastes and food availability of Americans. My mother and I just couldn't get into her style of food. My mother was a real French chef. :tongue: But for people not raised on French food, I'm sure it seems authentic enough.

http://www.biography.com/people/julia-child-9246767

21. Jun 19, 2013 #20

jedishrfu

Evo's analogy is right. The same is done with Chinese food. When I was a kid, my aunt gave me some dried noodle stuff that was so called Chinese. Only later after dining with friends and family, did I learn that even in Chinese restaurants, the food is adjusted based on whose ordering it from less spicy to sweetened to not even on the English menu at all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook