Excellent Quality Oils: Best Uncooked Options

• Thread starter tgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quality
In summary, Sunflower oil and sesame oil are good to use cold, peanut oil is good when frying something hot and fast, and extra virgin olive oil is one of the best quality oils. First cold-pressed rapeseed oil is also a good option.
tgt
Best quality oils

I know extra virgin olive oils are one of the best. What other oils are of that quality and not needing to be cooked?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sunflower oil and sesame oil, are good to use cold, I perfer the taste over olive oil in many dishes.

I use peanut oil when I half to fry something very hot and fast. It makes potatos, fried chicken and breads really tastie.

Last edited:
tgt said:
I know extra virgin olive oils are one of the best. What other oils are of that quality and not needing to be cooked?

If you are in the US, you have to look for "first cold pressed" on your olive oil. Certain rules allow the label to read "extra virgin" even when it is not exactly that. Sneaky b*st*rds.

I think Hypatia covered the rest of the subject right there. It pays to get up oily in the morning, I guess.

Wait, wait...don't read that!

I usually use Quaker State 10w-40, but I'm thinking about going synthetic.

Synthetic often leaves a nasty after-taste, you'll be burping that stuff up for hours.

How are you feeling hypatia?

Well I must be feeling better, because I'm wanting to do something other then nap. It looks beautiful out there>>>>{points to window}

tgt said:

I like using Grumbacher

First cold-press rapeseed oil is very good too.

Extra virgin olive oil is one oil I know is of very high quality. Any others? I am looking for one that can be mixed with food without any cooking.

While on the topic, what are the best cooking oils?

tgt said:
Extra virgin olive oil is one oil I know is of very high quality. Any others? I am looking for one that can be mixed with food without any cooking.

While on the topic, what are the best cooking oils?

Try

http://www.vinaigretterecipe.com/

Very easy to make, just mixing some balsamic vinegar and olive oil make a good dressing.

Merged with previous thread on same topic.

By the way, just because it's extra virgin olive oil doesn't mean it's of high quality. Some brands are much better quality than others. But a lot of that depends on personal taste preferences more than that there's a particularly good or bad brand (though, hint, the stuff sold in gallon cans in the grocery store are not usually the best flavored oils).

Last edited:
tgt said:
Corn oil, "vegetable oil" or what we used to call "salad oil" are all fine for raw foods. Any oil fit for human consumption can be used without cooking, it's just a matter of taste. I'm not aware of any edible oils that need to be cooked.

Evo said:
Corn oil, "vegetable oil" or what we used to call "salad oil" are all fine for raw foods. Any oil fit for human consumption can be used without cooking, it's just a matter of taste. I'm not aware of any edible oils that need to be cooked.

Yes, if that's what the question really meant, then all edible oils are okay to eat without cooking. I assumed tgt was inquiring about ones with more flavor or that are not particularly good for cooking but are good for things like dressings.

I love sesame oil, both for cooking and as a dressing, but the best sesame oils I've gotten have been from Chinese markets or international groceries, not the ones sold in the regular grocery store...they're okay, but don't have the same full flavor as the ones that have labels written in Chinese characters. :biggrin: I've been nursing a bottle I got when I was in Cincinnati that's the same brand as my Chinese neighbor in NJ bought for me in China Town NYC and assured me was the best for Chinese cooking (I really miss that neighbor). Alas, it's running low and I'm going to have to go hunting for a replacement. It might be worth the drive to Cincinnati just to go to the international market where I got it.

1. What are "Excellent Quality Oils"?

"Excellent Quality Oils" refers to high-grade oils that are typically used for cooking and baking. These oils are considered to be of superior quality due to their taste, nutritional value, and processing methods.

2. Why are uncooked options recommended?

Uncooked options are often recommended because they retain more of their natural nutrients and flavor compared to oils that have been heated or processed. They are also a healthier alternative as they contain less saturated fats.

3. What are the best options for uncooked oils?

The best options for uncooked oils include extra virgin olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, flaxseed oil, and grapeseed oil. These oils are minimally processed and have a high smoke point, making them suitable for high-heat cooking methods.

4. How can I tell if an oil is of excellent quality?

The best way to determine if an oil is of excellent quality is to look for key indicators such as the type of oil, the method of extraction, and the certification. Look for oils that are cold-pressed, unrefined, and have a certification from a reputable organization.

5. Can I use excellent quality oils for other purposes besides cooking?

Yes, excellent quality oils can be used for other purposes besides cooking. They can be used for skincare, haircare, and even as natural remedies for certain ailments. Just be sure to research the specific oil and its recommended use before trying it out.