Excerpts and quotes from books or your own

• Thread starter SeManTics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation is about sharing excerpts from favorite books, whether they are funny or serious. The speaker shares a quote about double-decker tour buses in NYC and how the best seats are on the top deck despite the potential weather risks. Another person adds a quote from the children's book "See Spot Run."
SeManTics
Got something from a book you want to share with the rest of us, guys? Share excerpts from your favorite books? Be it funny or serious? I'll start:

This one concerning double-decker tour buses in NYC:

The best seats are on the top deck. Sure, unwary tourists are going to get soaked if it's raining, freeze if it's cold, or suffer from sunstroke if it's summertime, but when they go back home, they'll boast and brag about how they had the best damn view of the best damn city in the world.

Physics news on Phys.org
See Spot run. Run Spot run

Spot the Dog

- "The City That Never Sleeps" by Jason Diamond

I love this quote because it captures the essence of being a tourist in a big city. We often sacrifice comfort for the sake of experiencing something new and exciting. And in the end, it's all worth it because we have amazing memories and stories to share with others. It's a reminder to embrace the unexpected and make the most out of every adventure.

1. What is the purpose of including excerpts and quotes from books?

The purpose of including excerpts and quotes from books is to provide evidence and support for your arguments or ideas. These excerpts and quotes can add credibility to your writing by showing that you have done research and are using reliable sources.

2. How do I properly cite excerpts and quotes from books?

To properly cite excerpts and quotes from books, you should use the appropriate citation style (such as MLA, APA, or Chicago) and include the author's name, the title of the book, the page number, and the publication information. It is important to properly cite your sources to avoid plagiarism and give credit to the original author.

3. Can I use excerpts and quotes from books without permission?

In most cases, you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holder before using excerpts and quotes from books. This includes both published and unpublished works. However, there are certain situations where the use of excerpts and quotes may fall under fair use, such as for educational or critical purposes.

4. How do I choose which excerpts and quotes to include in my writing?

When choosing which excerpts and quotes to include in your writing, consider the relevance and significance of the passage to your topic. Look for quotes that support your argument or provide a different perspective. It is also important to choose quotes that are clear and concise and do not require too much context for your readers to understand.

5. Can I use excerpts and quotes from my own book in my writing?

Yes, you can use excerpts and quotes from your own book in your writing. However, it is important to properly cite yourself as the source and avoid self-plagiarism. This means that you should not use the exact same wording or ideas from your book without proper citation and acknowledgement.