1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Excess electrons

1. Feb 27, 2015 #1
    When an object has excess electrons and is charged where are they? Are some of the molecules of the object given an extra electron? Also when two neutrally charged objects are rubbed together why do they both become charged? I would think that the electrons would prefer to keep both objects neutral.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2015 #2

Suraj M

Gold Member

If that were the case,there would not have been any ionic compounds formed!
    see this

4. Feb 27, 2015 #3

Philip Wood

Gold Member

Usually an object (especially one made of insulating material) acquires a charge by contact with other materials (as when a comb is rubbed with a pice of cloth). It's therefore usually (a very small fraction of) molecules on the surface which gain or lose electrons (usually only one electron on any one affected molecule). Conductors can also be charged. Again it is surface atoms or molecules which have the extra electron or are missing the electron. This time, though, the reason is rather different. Even if charge were to be deposited inside the object, it would migrate to the surface, essentially because of mutual repulsion.

5. Feb 27, 2015 #4
    A conductor loves to do just that, the electrons are merely the means. It seems to me you think of a charged mass like a battery, with cells full of electrons bouncing around ready to go to work. In concept it is the same, but in static situations where Faraday pioneered, a use for the energy needs to exist, i.e. ground short, to induce a flow. The inspiring fact of the day to remember is that the energy has more tendency to stay where it is at as an electron at rest, than it does to move with relativistic but otherwise known as invariant mass, that would vacate its premises.

6. Feb 28, 2015 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Your explanation is both confusing and needlessly bringing in relativity.

7. Feb 28, 2015 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook