Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Excess Enthalpy for Water-Ethanol Solution

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1
    I am trying to determine the final temperature of a solution after I mix equal volumes of pure water and 95% by volume Ethanol (5% by volume water). Doing this experiment in the lab, I found that mixing 50 mL of water and 50 mL of 95% Ethanol gave a final temperature of 28.5 C after mixing (both the water and ethanol were at the same temperature of 22 C before mixing). Thus, mixing 50 mL of each when both were initially at 22 C gave in increase of 6.5 C.

With the mole fraction of Ethanol being about 0.2, this gives a corresponding excess enthalpy of -717 J/mol and with the total moles of Ethanol at 0.77, the added enthalpy after mixing is -553. This leads to a calculated temperature increase of only 1.7 C. What am I missing here? Why did the lab results show a temperature of 28.5 yet my math (which I am nearly 100% of correctness) only gives 1.7 C increase?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What heat capacities are you using for components and for the mixture?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook