Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exchange-Correlation in DFT

1. Feb 14, 2008 #1
    Hi, i can't understan clearly the Exchange-correlation term that appears in the develop of DFT. The only thing i know is that the first comes from the pauli exclusion principle, and the second from the quantum part of the coulomb interaction between electrons. Am i right?? but i wan't to go deeper (not equations necessary) only a little help to understand where exactly this term comes and things like that. Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm not an expert on DFT. However, I can give you a reference to the paper that I read a while back while trying to understand a certain aspect of DFT. It has a rather detailed discussion on the exchange correlation in DFT and they use it in specific examples. Maybe that might give you an idea on what it is.

4. Feb 14, 2008 #3
    If you want an intuitive understanding i can refer you to i post i wrote some time ago :

Once you understand this, it should be more clear why the formula's appear in "they way they do" :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?