Exchange-Correlation in DFT

Hi, i can't understan clearly the Exchange-correlation term that appears in the develop of DFT. The only thing i know is that the first comes from the pauli exclusion principle, and the second from the quantum part of the coulomb interaction between electrons. Am i right?? but i wan't to go deeper (not equations necessary) only a little help to understand where exactly this term comes and things like that. Thanks in advance for your help.

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Hi, i can't understan clearly the Exchange-correlation term that appears in the develop of DFT. The only thing i know is that the first comes from the pauli exclusion principle, and the second from the quantum part of the coulomb interaction between electrons. Am i right?? but i wan't to go deeper (not equations necessary) only a little help to understand where exactly this term comes and things like that. Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm not an expert on DFT. However, I can give you a reference to the paper that I read a while back while trying to understand a certain aspect of DFT. It has a rather detailed discussion on the exchange correlation in DFT and they use it in specific examples. Maybe that might give you an idea on what it is.

http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/physics/9806013

Zz.

If you want an intuitive understanding i can refer you to i post i wrote some time ago :
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1390599&postcount=16

Once you understand this, it should be more clear why the formula's appear in "they way they do" :)

marlon