Solving Weak Interactions: W- vs W+

In summary, the conversation discusses weak interactions and the confusion surrounding which particle, W- or W+, is involved in different reactions. The question also addresses charge conservation and the difficulty of determining the involvement of W bosons in unknown reactions. A suggestion is given to focus on learning a few reactions rather than trying to understand all the rules.
fabbo
Well its not really a homework question but I have looked through the tutorials and am still at a loss.

Homework Statement

During weak interactions the particle exchanged is either W- W+ or Z0. The thing is, I get confused which weak interactions involve W- and which involve W+. I know beta minus decay is W- and beta plus W+ but how do I work it out for an unknown reaction?

Homework Equations

Is charge conservation involved, if so how?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
W bosons are primarily seen in quarks flavour changes. I take it you are doing A-levels, or equivalent. If you are don't worry about the rules and just learn the few reactions you're given. I say this because W bosons can either be emited or absorbed which makes it a bit more difficult.

I understand your confusion about the W- and W+ particles in weak interactions. The key to determining which weak interaction involves which particle is to look at the charge conservation law. W- carries a negative charge of -1, while W+ carries a positive charge of +1. Therefore, in any weak interaction, the total charge before and after the interaction must remain the same. For example, in beta minus decay, the initial state has a neutral neutron (charge 0) and the final state has a positively charged proton (charge +1) and a negatively charged electron (charge -1). This satisfies the charge conservation law, as the total charge before and after the interaction is 0. Similarly, in beta plus decay, the initial state has a positively charged proton (charge +1) and the final state has a neutral neutron (charge 0) and a positively charged positron (charge +1), satisfying the charge conservation law.

In an unknown reaction, you can use this charge conservation law to determine which weak interaction is involved. If the initial and final states have the same total charge, then W- is involved. If the final state has a higher total charge than the initial state, then W+ is involved. I hope this helps clarify your confusion. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What are W- and W+ particles?

W- and W+ particles are two of the fundamental particles in the Standard Model of particle physics. They are also known as the W bosons and are responsible for mediating the weak nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature.

2. What is the difference between W- and W+ particles?

W- and W+ particles are essentially identical except for their electric charge. W- particles have a negative electric charge, while W+ particles have a positive electric charge. This difference in charge is the reason for their different names.

3. How do W- and W+ particles interact with matter?

W- and W+ particles interact with matter through the weak nuclear force. They can change the flavor of quarks and leptons by changing the type of particle they are interacting with. They also have a short range and can only interact with particles that are close by.

4. How are W- and W+ particles produced?

W- and W+ particles are produced through high-energy collisions, such as those that occur in particle accelerators like the Large Hadron Collider. They can also be produced naturally in certain types of radioactive decay.

5. Why is it important to understand the differences between W- and W+ particles?

Understanding the differences between W- and W+ particles is crucial for understanding the behavior of the weak nuclear force and the interactions between particles at the subatomic level. This knowledge can also help us to better understand the structure and origins of the universe.