Why Six Lines in the Emission Spectrum?

In summary, when a sample of hydrogen gas absorbs enough energy to make the electrons jump to the 3rd excited energy level, 6 lines can be observed in the complete emission spectrum as the atoms relax back to the ground state. This is because there are three possible de-excitations to the ground state and transitions can also occur between excited states. The spectrum of hydrogen has different groups of emission/absorption lines, including Lyman (UV), Balmer (visible), and Paschen (infrared) series, which represent different transitions between excited states and the ground state.
firyace
A sample of hydrogen gas absorbed sufficient energy to make the electrons jump to the 3rd excited energy level. It is said that 6 lines can be observed in the complete emmission spectrum as the atoms relax back to ground state.

But why six though?

When I check a diagrm of the spectrum, it will have infinity of spectrums, and 1-5 will be visible, while the sixth one visible is the last line, the infinity line. However is my line of thought correct? Because it only states that the electrons jump to the 3rd electron level and the atom relaxes back to ground state, so I thought it suppose to be 3 visible lines then.

I am really confuse now !
Please help!

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Read about selection rules in your text.

From the 'third' excited state, what are the possible transitions? Note that there are two excited states, and the ground state at lower energies.

Thanks for the reply,

Read about selection rules in your text.

I have checked my textbook, and it rarely talked about this spectrum (1page out of 1123 pages). And this question I got it from my practice final, from which the answer said it was six.

From the 'third' excited state, what are the possible transitions? Note that there are two excited states, and the ground state at lower energies.

Yeah, i was thinking about that too, and then it should be three then, right?
But the solution in the practice final says it was six.

Many thanks for the reply guys!

firyace said:
Yeah, i was thinking about that too, and then it should be three then, right?
But the solution in the practice final says it was six.
There are three states below the 'third' excited state.

Denote 0 as ground state, and 1, 2, 3 as excited states. There are three possible de-excitations to ground state - so that's 3.

What are the other possibilities? Each excited state represents an energy level.

There are three states below the 'third' excited state.

Denote 0 as ground state, and 1, 2, 3 as excited states. There are three possible de-excitations to ground state - so that's 3.

What are the other possibilities? Each excited state represents an energy level.

So then, do you count the excited state as one and de-exitications as another?

Thanks

Transitions can occur between excited states - e.g. 3-2 - in addition from excited to ground.

The spectrum of hydrogen has different groups of emission/absorption lines, including Lyman (UV), Balmer (visible) and Paschen (infrared)
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hyde.html#c4

The Lyman series represents transitions from excited states (n>1) to the ground state (n=1), the Balmer series represents transitions from excited states (n>2) to the first excited state (n=2), and the Paschen series from excited states (n>3) to 2nd excited state (n=3). n is the principal quantum number for atomic electrons.

1. Why are there only six lines in the emission spectrum?

The six lines in the emission spectrum correspond to the six energy levels in the atom. When an electron transitions from a higher energy level to a lower one, it emits energy in the form of light at a specific wavelength, creating a distinct line in the spectrum. These six energy levels are unique to the atom's structure and determine the number of lines in its emission spectrum.

2. Can there be more or less than six lines in the emission spectrum?

In most cases, there will be only six lines in the emission spectrum. However, in some cases, there may be additional lines due to factors such as the atom having multiple isotopes or being in an excited state. But the majority of the time, there will only be six lines in the emission spectrum.

3. How is the number of lines in the emission spectrum determined?

The number of lines in the emission spectrum is determined by the atom's electron configuration. Each atom has a unique arrangement of electrons in its energy levels, and these energy levels determine the wavelengths of light that will be emitted when electrons transition between them. Therefore, the number of lines in the emission spectrum is specific to each atom.

4. What is the significance of the six lines in the emission spectrum?

The six lines in the emission spectrum are significant because they provide valuable information about an atom's structure and energy levels. By studying the wavelengths of these lines, scientists can determine the electron configuration of an atom and gain a better understanding of its properties and behaviors.

5. Can the emission spectrum be used to identify unknown elements?

Yes, the emission spectrum can be used to identify unknown elements. Each element has a unique emission spectrum, so by comparing the wavelengths of the lines in an unknown sample to those of known elements, scientists can determine the identity of the element. This technique is commonly used in analytical chemistry and spectroscopy.