1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Excited helium

1. Feb 14, 2013 #1
    I have an exercise with the following text:

Suppose you put both electrons in a helium atom into the n=2 state. What would the energy of the emitted electron be?

I have attached the solution to the problem, but I am not sure I understand it. I understand the first part about the total initial energy. But I don't understand what follows. If the energy of each electron is E1 and one electron drops to a state below then shouldn't it only lose a portion of energy while leaving the other electrons energy unchanged?
    Maybe I am thinking too clasically and should think of it as a total quantum system. But it is just weird for me that the electron can gain energy through the other jumping down - how is this energy transferred? (maybe too classical again) - and most importantly, why are we not considering the fact that the energy jump will cause a photon to be emitted like in the hydrogen case?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When one electron jumps to the ground state it must give up energy in some way. One way is the emission of a photon. But in this problem it is assumed that the energy is given directly to the other electron causing it to be ejected. This is called the Auger Effect . I agree that the process is hard to imagine classically. (But so is the emission of a photon, to me anyway. :smile:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook