Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Excited states in the QHO

1. Nov 16, 2012 #1
    Maybe the answer to this should be obvious, but if the quantum harmonic oscillator has a natural angular frequency \omega_0, why do the excited states vibrate with higher and higher angular frequencies? How do we obtain these frequencies?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2012 #2
    Maybe I didn't understand your question but this is quite the definition of "higher state". In order to increase an harmonic oscillator energy its frequency must grow.

4. Nov 16, 2012 #3
    Thanks, I think I understand it now. Normally the time-dependent part would look like $$e^{-i\omega t},$$ but I suppose in this case it essentially looks like $$e^{-i(n+1/2)\omega t}.$$ So as the n value increases the frequency will increase. Does this look correct?

Thanks.

5. Nov 16, 2012 #4
    That's correct. The time-dependent part, in fact, generally is [itex]exp(-iHt)[/itex] so, in your case [itex]H=(n+1/2)\hbar\omega[/itex] and you get exactly what you wrote.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook