1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exciting an electron

1. Oct 4, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Exciting an electron

An electron is in a 1-dimensional box with infinite potential on both sides. The length of the box is 1,0*10^-10 m. How much energy does it take to excite the electron to the first excited level?

Hm, I've got no idea how to solve this one...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Shouldn't you maybe figure out what the solutions of the schrodinger equation in such a box are?

4. Oct 4, 2007 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you looked at what your textbook has to say about this? What text are you using? Is this a calculus-based course?

(Aside: Dick, I've seen pre-calculus physics courses where the 1D infinite well is introduced without any reference to the SE. The derivation of energy eigenvalues involves using the de Broglie relation on allowed wavelengths for standing waves in the well.)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  5. Oct 4, 2007 #4
    I used the Schrödinger equation and found the energy to be 1,79*10^-17. Is it correct?

6. Oct 4, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is that in joules? What sort of an equation did you finally put numbers into? No matter what method you use (thanks, Gokul), you should find that there is more than one possible energy for the particle in the box to have. Do you have a formula for these possible energies? The problem is asking about the energy difference between two of them.

7. Oct 4, 2007 #6
    Yes, in Joules.

I used the eq

Delta(E)=(h'*(pi)^2*(n+1)^2)/2mL^2 - (h'*(pi)^2*n^2)/2mL^2

where h' = h/(2*pi)

8. Oct 4, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, then put n=1, right? So you get the difference between the n=2 state and the n=1 state. It looks fine to me. You really meant h'^2 in the equation, your answer is right so I'm guessing you did.

9. Oct 4, 2007 #8
    yeah, h'^2.

This is just homework as a part of an intro course in nanotechnology. There's no book, only lectures. I think I should try to find some info on my own to improve my understanding.

10. Oct 4, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could always flip through the wikipedia 'Particle in a box' entry for a quick intro. It's easy to find...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?