Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exciton is electron-hole pair

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    hi

I always heard my lecturer mentioned about 'less than 1 exciton'. as everybody knows, exciton is electron-hole pair. can we have <<<1 exciton??? What does it mean?
    thanks in advance for your reply.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2009 #2
    Re: exciton

Are they referring to less than 1 exciton per unit cell? A small number of excitons in a large crystal would be much less than 1 exciton per unit cell.

4. Oct 4, 2009 #3

How do you expect anyone to answer this without more context?

5. Oct 4, 2009 #4

hi
    thanks for the replied.
    sorry for lack of information.

it's about exciton in quantum dot (more specificly is in type-II quantum dot where the holes is confined in the dots). from photoluminescence of power dependence, they found 2 different slope by plotting the graph of QD peak vs laser power. at low power, the slope is small due to <<<1 exciton in dots. at high power, the slope is high (starts to have biexciton). however, this can be confirmed by doing photoluminescence in magnetic field.

i am not understand the terms of '<<<1 exciton' (where from the definition, e-hole = exciton. i reckon 1exciton=1 pair of e-hole).

would appreciate for a reply.
    thanks very much

6. Oct 9, 2009 #5

Likely, what is mentioned by your lecturer is what was said by kanato:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook