1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exclusion Principle

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the minimum possible energy for five noninteracting spin 1/2 particles of mass m in a one-dimensional box of length L? What if the particles were spin 1? Spin 3/2?

2. Relevant equations

Could someone get me started?

3. The attempt at a solution

U = [-e/(m_e)](sqrt[3]/2)(h_bar)B, where h_bar = 1.055E-34
    m_e = electron mass
    e = electron charge
    B = magnetic field

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2
    You need the wavefunction for particles in an infinite square well (which is the same as this box). Then feed in your particles to the energy levels, as you would in an atom, then calculate the energy of the last electron in the orbital. Do the same for spin 1 and spin 3/2 particles. Take care with what spin states a level can have, and whetherthe particles are fermions or a bosons.

4. Nov 25, 2008 #3

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think this problem has a conceptual part you are being tested on, not requiring calculation really, and a more mathematical part.
    Before starting the math part which maybe is getting in the way, state the concept which will indicate too how you have to proceed for the math part.
    In each case will the electrons all have the same energies as each other?

5. Nov 25, 2008 #4
    These aren't electrons! They're non-interacting. This makes the question much easier.

6. Nov 25, 2008 #5
    wave function y = (sqrt(2)/L)*sin[k(pi)x/L]

Do i use the fact that y_s = y(1)y'(2) + y'(1)y(2) because it is symmetric?

Im not sure how to use this

7. Nov 26, 2008 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK.

In each case will the particles all have the same energies as each other?

8. Nov 17, 2010 #7
    I really want to solve this same problem pls help...

9. Nov 17, 2010 #8
    What is the minimum possible energy for five noninteracting spin 1/2 particles of mass m in a one-dimensional box of length L? What if the particles were spin 1? Spin 3/2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?