Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Excuse me, sorry or apology?

1. Mar 17, 2006 #1
    So Hi,

I heard once people talking about when to say: 'sorry' or 'excuse me' or offer an apology. it was brief and i heard it 'from the tip of my ear'.

Any inputs regarding this matter is appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2006 #2
    I would have said: "I only heard it out of the corner of my ear." This would be an amusing comparison of hearing to vision, by hijacking the turn of speech about only seeing something out of the corner of your eye (i.e. only in your peripheral vision) and employing it to paint a picture of only having heard something vaguely because the sound was too soft or because you weren't paying full attention to a background conversation.

Instead, you're performing an infelicitous hijacking of the turn of speech about something being on the tip of your tongue.
  4. Mar 17, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Aww, gee, zooby, cut some slack. What would Donald Duck say?
  5. Mar 17, 2006 #4
    I was setting it up so someone could come back and advise him that at this point he could reply: "Well, EXCUUUUUSSEEE MEEE!!!!."
  6. Mar 17, 2006 #5
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?