When should you say 'sorry' or 'excuse me' or offer an apology?

• Thread starter Spirit
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the use of different phrases for apologizing, such as "sorry" or "excuse me." One person suggests using a humorous phrase about only hearing something out of the corner of your ear, while another person suggests using a phrase from a popular cartoon character. The conversation ends with a joke about using the phrase "excuse me" in a comical way.
Spirit
So Hi,

I heard once people talking about when to say: 'sorry' or 'excuse me' or offer an apology. it was brief and i heard it 'from the tip of my ear'.

Any inputs regarding this matter is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would have said: "I only heard it out of the corner of my ear." This would be an amusing comparison of hearing to vision, by hijacking the turn of speech about only seeing something out of the corner of your eye (i.e. only in your peripheral vision) and employing it to paint a picture of only having heard something vaguely because the sound was too soft or because you weren't paying full attention to a background conversation.

Instead, you're performing an infelicitous hijacking of the turn of speech about something being on the tip of your tongue.

Aww, gee, zooby, cut some slack. What would Donald Duck say?

selfAdjoint said:
Aww, gee, zooby, cut some slack. What would Donald Duck say?
I was setting it up so someone could come back and advise him that at this point he could reply: "Well, EXCUUUUUSSEEE MEEE!."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1. What is the difference between "excuse me" and "sorry"?

The phrase "excuse me" is typically used to politely ask for someone's attention or to apologize for a minor inconvenience, such as accidentally bumping into someone. "Sorry" is a more general term used to express regret or remorse for something you have done or said.

2. When should I use "apology" instead of "sorry" or "excuse me"?

"Apology" is a noun that refers to a formal statement expressing regret or admitting fault. It is typically used in more serious or formal situations where a simple "sorry" may not be enough. For example, if you have caused harm or offended someone, it may be more appropriate to offer a sincere apology instead of just saying "sorry".

3. Is it necessary to say "excuse me" or "sorry" in every situation?

While it is generally considered polite to use these phrases in certain situations, there may be times when it is not necessary or appropriate. For example, if someone has clearly wronged you or caused harm, you may not feel the need to say "excuse me" or "sorry" to them.

4. Can "excuse me" or "sorry" be used interchangeably?

While both phrases are used to express some form of regret or politeness, they are not always interchangeable. "Excuse me" is typically used when asking for someone's attention or to politely interrupt a conversation, while "sorry" is used to express remorse or apologize for something. It is important to use the appropriate phrase in each situation.

5. How can I make a sincere apology?

To make a sincere apology, it is important to take responsibility for your actions, express genuine remorse, and offer to make amends or take steps to prevent the same mistake from happening again. It is also important to listen to the other person's perspective and acknowledge the impact of your actions on them. A sincere apology should be heartfelt and specific, and should not include excuses or justifications for your behavior.