Exercise and weight loss

• Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
Don't eat "lots" of fruit. Fruit has a lot of sugar and people don't realize it. For example, some people fill their oatmeal with raisins, not realizing just how much sugar that is.
If you want to lose body fat, any sugar you do get should probably be from fruit.
And just try not to add anything to your vegetables that contains fat/sugar. Eventually you'll start to appreciate how food really tastes, instead of the masked version.
With the exception of Mr. Resnick, get off of my planet! All of you!
I don't know how many times I have to say this: vegetables are not food; they're what food eats. My ancestors put a lot of effort into evolving to the point where I'm at the top of the food chain, and I'm not about to dishonour them by backsliding into being a ruminant.
Are you really the top of the food chain? If you were in the wild and everything you used had to be made by you and not someone else, where would you place yourself on the food chain?

Danger
Gold Member
If you were in the wild and everything you used had to be made by you and not someone else, where would you place yourself on the food chain?
At the top. The reason that humans are dominant is that our brains allow us to kill things many times our size and strength. I design weapons as a hobby, and I guarantee that I could build something that would take down a rhino if necessary, using only naturally available materials.

At the top. The reason that humans are dominant is that our brains allow us to kill things many times our size and strength. I design weapons as a hobby, and I guarantee that I could build something that would take down a rhino if necessary, using only naturally available materials.
So if you were put on the African tundra, you could kill and eat a lion?

Sure, I could build a spear and I could theoretically kill a lion with it. But I would be too scared to even go into an area where I thought lions were. And if a lion actually came after me, I wouldn't trust anything I built to actually kill it before it killed me. But of course, that's just me. If you could, then I would definitely want you there with me. I'll go collect berries as a garnish for our lion meat that you procured.

Danger
Gold Member
So if you were put on the African tundra, you could kill and eat a lion?
I could, but that would be a really stupid approach to the situation. I wouldn't be hunting lions; I would be competing with them for the same food supply. Even that would be a bit off-track. My game of choice would be much smaller. There's no way that I could eat a whole gazelle before it rotted away, so killing one would be a last-ditch manoeuvre. Something that could be fully consumed within a day to two would be more efficient.
By the bye, there's no such thing as an African tundra. Might I assume that you meant "savannah"?

And keep your berries to yourself. :tongue:

edit: Now that I've had a few minutes to think about it, I would just do the vulture approach. I'd follow the lions and eat their leftovers. Much less effort on my part, and a lion with a full stomach would have no animosity toward me.

Last edited:
If I was left on the African savanah to find my own food I guess that would be a pretty effective way to lose weight although I don't think I would last very long to enjoy my reduced weight state.

Danger
Gold Member
If I was left on the African savanah to find my own food I guess that would be a pretty effective way to lose weight although I don't think I would last very long to enjoy my reduced weight state.
That does bring to mind the most crucial issue of this particular debate (as opposed to the OP, which we are ignoring for a moment)... hydration is key in any circumstance, whether it be a sporting event, a walk in the park, or the aforementioned safari. If you don't have enough water, it's game over.

Ben Niehoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Any good weight loss program also needs to include weight training. This is because as your body burns fat, it also burns muscle. If you eat at a calorie deficit consistently, you will get skinny, but you will still be flabby, and you may be disappointed with the results. Lifting heavy weight for low reps will help you retain muscle while losing fat, and get that toned look. Look into a weight training program like Starting Strength to go along with your cardio and diet. Do this even if you are a girl who wants to "get toned"...it is impossible for women to get massive bodybuilder muscles without taking steroids, so don't be afraid of that.

Also, quinoa is not a good source of protein. It is a complete protein, meaning it contains all the amino acids needed by your body, but the proportion of protein to carbs is pretty low. Quinoa is mostly a carb food, like rice or wheat.

Lentils are a much better source of protein, but incomplete by themselves. Combine them with whole grains to get a complete protein. Or just eat some meat, it's good for you.

Just wanted to stress the importance of what Ben Niehoff said. Starting Strength is one of the best things to happen to me.

I'm shocked to hear recommendations for sugary foods like fruits and more carbs instead of a foundation of adequate, complete protein (which is mostly found in meat).

I'd also recommend the doing Starting Strength. Rippetoe's program is great. Another good one is Starr's 5x5.

You don't need meat, but eggs and milk is more than enough of a protein source. In particular, women don't even have the same protein need that men do precisely because they won't be putting on pounds of muscle. But you should still do a full body weight lifting regemen, its the BEST way to get healthy if you take it seriously--in that it increases your potential in all physical activities, as opposed to preparing you for specific movements.