1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exercise from Serre

1. Aug 2, 2007 #1
    This is an exercise from a book from Serre called Trees. Given the group

G = < a, b, c | bab−1 = a2, cbc−1 = b2, aca−1 = c2 >

I have to prove G = 1.

I don't have a clue. Of course G' = G (commutator subgroup equals the group itself) but I don't know what to deduce from that. Another first step could be to prove that the orders of a, b and c are finite. But I do not even know how to that.

If anyone could put me in the right direction i would be very grateful.

edit: Im gonna try to use Todd Coxeter coset enumeration.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2007 #2
    I doubt wetter ToddCoxeter CE will help me :frown:

4. Aug 2, 2007 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the question uses a,b,c and it's Serre, let's assume that the fact there are 3 generators is important.

The only thing I can think of doing is considering products like abc or bac etc and simplifying in two ways until ended up with something that points towards the statement a=a^2, or similar.

(No, I\ve not solved this - I'll get a pen and paper and think about it some more later)

5. Aug 3, 2007 #4
    well, if you can prove all the 3 generators are of finite order than I can finish this question. Because Suzuki has this exercise in his book where he assumes G is finite and he also gives lots of hints.

Here however I can not a priori assume G is finite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?