Understanding Central Charges in Weinberg's Book

In summary, Weinberg's problem 3 has the student trying to derive the commutation relations for the generators of the Galilean group directly from the group multiplication law (without using our results for the Lorentz group). However, they can't figure out how to see whether a central charge can be eliminated or not, and how. The final result is that the only central charge left after redefinition of the generators must be [K_i,P_j]=im\delta_{ij} where m is a parameter that identifies the irreducible representation, the P's are the spatial translations generators, and the K's are the velocity transformations generators. Ballentine's modern development does a reasonable job of demolishing old
Petr Mugver
Hi all,

I'm having trouble solving problem 3 at page 105 in Weinberg's book, The Quantum Theory of Fields, Vol. 1:

Derive the commutation relations for the generators of the Galilean group directly from the group multiplication law (without using our results for the Lorentz group). Include the most general set of central charges that cannot be eliminated by redefinition of the group generators.

I can do the first two steps of the problem, but I can't figure out how to see whether a central charge can be eliminated or not, and how. I also know what the final result is, i.e. the only central charge left after redefinition of the generators must be

[tex][K_i,P_j]=im\delta_{ij}[/tex]

where m is a parameter that identifies the irreducible representation, the P's are the spatial translations generators, and the K's are the velocity transformations generators.

Any hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
Petr Mugver said:
Any hint?

Read Ballentine... ;-)

strangerep said:
Read Ballentine... ;-)

Thanks a lot, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for! :biggrin:

The downside is that it's going to be my 32nd 600-page book on QM! :cry:

No one understands Quantum Mechanics, don't feel bad, I'm sure many Theoretical Physicists have read more books than you on Quantum Mechanics and haven't found any deep intuition than they previously had, Quantum Mechanics is just; an aberration from what we see.

Last edited:
Kevin_Axion said:
No one understands Quantum Mechanics, don't feel bad, I'm sure many Theoretical Physicists have read more books than you on Quantum Mechanics and haven't find any deep intuition than they previously had, Quantum Mechanics is just; an aberration from what we see.

The contrary is true! Quantum mechanics is the only self-consistent description of nature that is compatible with what we see.:biggrin:

Yes, but my eyes only perceive the macroscopic world described by Classical Mechanics, of course the description of light is Quantum Mechanical in nature, but it isn't necessary at these length scales, hence it is an aberration from what we "see" - without instruments.

Petr Mugver said:
Thanks a lot, that is EXACTLY what I was looking for! :biggrin:

The downside is that it's going to be my 32nd 600-page book on QM! :cry:

And you still not going to understand it.
:-)

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Petr Mugver said:
[...]
The downside is that it's going to be my 32nd 600-page book on QM!
And you still not going to understand it. :-)

Well, at least Ballentine's modern development does a reasonable job of
demolishing old interpretational bunkum like wavefunction collapse. :-)

1. What is the recommended amount of exercise according to Weinberg's book?

According to Weinberg's book, the recommended amount of exercise is at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous intensity exercise per week.

2. What are some of the benefits of exercise mentioned in Weinberg's book?

Weinberg's book mentions that exercise has numerous benefits, including improved cardiovascular health, weight management, increased muscle strength and endurance, and reduced risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes and certain cancers.

3. How does Weinberg's book define exercise?

Weinberg's book defines exercise as any physical activity that is planned, structured, and repetitive and has the purpose of improving or maintaining physical fitness.

4. What are some examples of aerobic exercises recommended in Weinberg's book?

In Weinberg's book, some examples of aerobic exercises include walking, running, cycling, swimming, and dancing.

5. Is it necessary to consult a doctor before starting an exercise routine, as mentioned in Weinberg's book?

Yes, according to Weinberg's book, it is recommended to consult a doctor before starting an exercise routine, especially if you have any underlying health conditions or are over the age of 40.