Exercise of Dirac Field Theory

In summary, the given conversation discusses an exercise given by a professor on finding the most general solution to the Lorentz-invariant equation ##\displaystyle{\not} p=\gamma^\mu p_\mu=m##, where the identity matrix has been omitted. The conversation also touches on choosing a favorable reference frame and the use of Dirac standard form in solving the equation. It is mentioned that the equation has to be an operator equation and cannot be true without acting on a wave function.
Luca_Mantani

Homework Statement

[/B]
This is an excercise that was given by my professor in a previous test:
Consider the equation:
$$
\displaystyle{\not} p
=\gamma^\mu p_\mu= m$$
where the identity matrix has been omitted in the second member.
Find its most general solution.

Homework Equations

The equation is Lorentz invariant, so in another reference frame
$$
\displaystyle{\not} p'
=\gamma^\mu p'_\mu= m$$
holds true.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the solution but i can't understand it.
We choose a reference frame that is favorable, that is the one in which ##\vec{p}=0##, so the equation become
$$\gamma^0p_0=m$$.
Let's choose ##\gamma^0## in Dirac standard form:
$$
\gamma^0=\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & -1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & -1
\end{pmatrix}
$$

At this point I'm ok with all i have written. Now the solution says:
So the equality becomes:
$$(p_0-m)^2=(p_0+m)^2=0$$

How did this happen? I can't understand it, i would have written the matrix equation and notice that for the equation to hold true i have ##p_0=m## and ##p_0=-m## simultaneously, so the equation is impossible.
What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't forget the difference between p0 the Eigenvalue, and p0 the operator. You need to solve for both the Eigenvalue and the Eigenvector. The value p0=m corresponds to one vector, and the value p0=-m to another. The equation in your part 1 has to be an operator equation, and can't be true without acting on a wave function.

DEvens said:
Don't forget the difference between p0 the Eigenvalue, and p0 the operator. You need to solve for both the Eigenvalue and the Eigenvector. The value p0=m corresponds to one vector, and the value p0=-m to another. The equation in your part 1 has to be an operator equation, and can't be true without acting on a wave function.
Mmm, you mean that p0 is not the time component of the 4-momentum but it's the operator ##-i\partial_0## and both members of the equation are applied to a 4-spinor wave function?

1. What is the Dirac field theory?

The Dirac field theory is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of fermions, which are particles with half-integer spin. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s and is an important component of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How is the Dirac field theory used in physics?

The Dirac field theory is used to study the interactions between fermions and other particles, such as bosons. It is also used to describe the properties of elementary particles, such as electrons and quarks, and their behavior in different physical systems.

3. What is the significance of the Dirac equation in the Dirac field theory?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of fermions in terms of their spin and energy. It is a fundamental equation in the Dirac field theory and is used to predict the behavior of particles at high energies and speeds.

4. How is the Dirac field theory related to quantum field theory?

The Dirac field theory is a specific example of a quantum field theory, which is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is a relativistic quantum field theory, meaning it takes into account both the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity.

5. What are the applications of the Dirac field theory?

The Dirac field theory has many applications in modern physics, including in the study of subatomic particles, quantum field theory, and cosmology. It is also used in the development of technologies such as semiconductors and superconductors, and in the understanding of fundamental principles such as symmetry breaking and particle interactions.