Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exercise on composites please. this is going to be in my exam

1. May 12, 2012 #1
    Exercise on composites << please. this is going to be in my exam!!!!!

PLEASE. I really need this! (im preparing the course by myself and have no one to ask to!!!!

a hose in a high-pressure water-jet cleaning system is to be made of a glass-reinforced polyethylene composite material,with continious fibers (Vf=0.4) orientated in the hoop direction. The hose has a external diametre of 20 mm and a wall thickness of 2mm. The water pressure during operation is 10 MPa. Calculate the percentage increases in lenght and diametre of thehose when it is pressurized

I did that and I got that the hoop stress was 50 MPa and the axial one 25 Mpa. The strain in length due to axial stress is 1.68% and in the diametre 0.16%.

Estimate the stress level in the glass fibers when the hose is under pressure

this is what I don't get!!!! I got aprox 150 Mpa but it's wrong.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted