Exercise with differential of a function

In summary, the forum poster has attempted to find the derivative of a function ##f(x)##, which is defined as the square root of a sum, using the chain rule and the sum rule. However, there are some errors in their solution and they have been advised to revise their approach and consider the use of indices in their calculation. Their final answer should be a function of ##x##, not just a sum over indices.
Felafel

Homework Statement

Let ##Q(x)=\sum_{j,i=1}^nC_{ij}x^ix^j ##
and ##C_{ij}=C_{ji}; Q(x)>0 \forall x\neq 0##
##f(x)=[Q(x)]^{\frac{p}{2}}## find df(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

##Q(x)=\begin{matrix}
(c_{11} & c_{12}... & c_{1n}) \\
(... & ... & ...) \\
(c_{n1} & c_{n2} & c_{nn})
\end{matrix}^{p/2}##multplied the column ##(x_1,...x_n)^{p/2}##
##df(x)=\frac{p}{2} \sum_{i,j=1}^n(C_{ji})^{\frac{p}{2}} \cdot x^{\frac{p-2}{2}} dx##
##\forall x_i## with ##i=1,...n##
is it correct?
thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Your attempt at a solution is partially correct. Here are a few points to consider:

1. When taking the derivative of ##f(x)##, you should use the chain rule. This means that you should multiply the derivative of the outer function ##[Q(x)]^{\frac{p}{2}}## by the derivative of the inner function ##Q(x)##. In this case, the inner function is a sum, so you will need to use the sum rule as well.

2. Your calculation for ##Q(x)## is not entirely clear. It looks like you are trying to write out the matrix representation of ##Q(x)##, but it is not clear how you are using the indices ##i## and ##j##. Remember that the sum in the definition of ##Q(x)## is over all possible values of ##i## and ##j##, so you will need to use these indices in your calculation of ##Q'(x)##.

3. It is also not clear what you mean by "multiplied the column ##(x_1,...x_n)^{p/2}##". Remember that in the definition of ##Q(x)##, the variables ##x_1,x_2,...,x_n## are raised to different powers depending on the values of ##i## and ##j##. So it is not clear how you are raising the entire column to a single power.

4. Finally, your answer should be a function of ##x##, not just a sum over the indices ##i## and ##j##. Remember that the derivative of a function is a new function that tells you the slope of the original function at each point. So your answer should be a function that depends on ##x##.

I hope this helps you to revise your solution. Good luck!

1. What is exercise with differential of a function?

Exercise with differential of a function is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is also known as the derivative and is often used to analyze the behavior of functions and solve real-world problems.

2. Why is exercise with differential of a function important?

Exercise with differential of a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and its rate of change at a specific point. This information is crucial in many fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It also allows us to solve optimization problems and make predictions based on the behavior of a function.

3. How is exercise with differential of a function calculated?

Exercise with differential of a function is calculated using the rules of differentiation, which involve taking the limit of the change in the function over the change in the independent variable. There are various methods for calculating derivatives, such as the power rule, product rule, chain rule, and quotient rule.

4. What is the difference between a derivative and an antiderivative?

While both involve finding the rate of change of a function, a derivative is the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point, while an antiderivative is the original function before differentiation. In other words, the derivative gives us the slope of the tangent line, while the antiderivative gives us the original function that would produce that slope.

5. How can exercise with differential of a function be applied in real life?

Exercise with differential of a function has many real-life applications, such as in physics for calculating velocity, acceleration, and force, in economics for analyzing supply and demand curves, and in engineering for designing optimal structures and predicting the behavior of systems. It is also used in data analysis and machine learning for creating models and making predictions based on past data.