Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exhausted by handshakes

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1
    Two football teams, both with an offense, defense and special team of eleven players each, exchange handshakes exhaustively between themselves. How many handshakes are applied overall?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2
    Do the team members only shake hands with members of the other team? Or do the "sub-teams" (offensive/defensive/special) teams on the same team also shake hands? And do people on the same, say, offensive team shake hands with each other? I guess I'm puzzled as to why it matters that there are sub-teams unless there's some significance to them, but it seems not to specify any significance in the problem as stated?

DaveE

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3
    They spank their own teammates.:wink:

I included sub-teams to explain the total overall number on a team (33).

I am reminded of youth leagues where it seems every player on one team is required to shake hands with every player on the other team.

I failed to explain specifically that the sport in question is American football.

5. Sep 24, 2009 #4
    Ok, so each person ONLY shakes hands with people that are members of the other team, and NOT with people on their own team.

In that case, there should be 33^2 (1089) handshakes.

If they each shake hands with everyone EXCEPT people from their own subteam, then 1815 handshakes total.

And if they each shake hands with everyone else, then 2145 handshakes.

DaveE

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook