1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Existence of convolution

1. Jan 6, 2008 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It is a theorem in my book that if f and g are two Lebesgue integrable complex valued functions on R, then the integral

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}|f(x-y)g(y)|dy[/tex]

is finite for almost all x in R.

Why not all? f is integrable, hence bounded, say, by M. Therefor, whatever x, we have |f(x-y)g(y)|<M|g(y)|, which is integrable, so |f(x-y)g(y)| is too, independantly of x!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm a bit puzzled by your question. If f and g are "Lebesque" integrable that only means the are "nice" everywhere except on a set of measure 0. In particular your statemnt "f is integrable, hence bounded" is not true. If f is integrable, it is bounded everywhere except on a set of measure 0. For example, since the rational numbers, between 0 and 1, are countable, the set of all such rational numbers has measure 0. Also, since they are countable, the can be put in a "list", r1[/sup], r2, etc. Define f(x), between 0 and 1, by f(x)= 1 if x is irrational, f(x]) = i for r= ri. That function is integrable on [0, 1] (in fact, its integral is 1) and bounded on the set of irrational numbers between 0 and 1, , but not on [0, 1].

4. Jan 6, 2008 #3

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

why bounded? how about 1/Sqrt[x].

5. Jan 6, 2008 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

replace "bounded" with "bounded almost everywhere".

6. Jan 6, 2008 #5

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

consider f(x)=g(x)=1/Sqrt[x]

7. Jan 6, 2008 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think 1/sqrt{x} is not integrable on ]0,a], because 1/x isn't and 1/sqrt{x} is bigger than 1/x.

So what is your counter-example for oldgranpappy? (I assume this is what you'Re hinting at)

8. Jan 6, 2008 #7

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

1/Sqrt[x] is integrable on [a,b] for any 'a' and 'b', pos, neg, whatever.

not near zero.

Oh, I was just saying that if f(x-y)=1/Sqrt[x-y] and g(y)=1/Sqrt[y]
    then for x=0
    f(x-y)g(y) is 1/y which blows up too fast at zero to integrate... but maybe that's a dumb example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?