Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Existence of orthonormal frame

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    Let $$M$$ be a surface with Riemannian metric $$g$$. Recall that an orthonormal framing of $$M$$ is an ordered pair of vector fields $$(E_1,E_2)$$ such that $$g(E_i,E_j)=\delta_{ij}$$. Prove that an orthonormal framing exists iff $$M$$ is orientable and $$M$$ admits a nowhere vanishing vector field $$X$$.

Remark: It's obvious in $$\mathbb{R}^3$$, but how to formally justify it?
    The definition for orientabily: $$M$$ is orientable if there exists an atlas $$(u_{\alpha},M_{\alpha})_{\alpha}$$ such that $$\mathrm{det}(\mathrm{d}(u_{\beta}\circ u_{\alpha}^{-1}))>0$$, for each $$(\alpha,\beta)$$ such that $$M_{\alpha} \cap M_{\beta} \neq \Phi$$

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The idea here is that by definition, an orientation on M splits the basis at each tg space into 2 sets: the ones that are positively oriented and the ones that are not.

So start with a nowhere vanishing vector field X. You want to construct another one Y that is g-orthogonal to it. At each point, you have only two choices for Y, but one of those choices is canonical as only one of them makes (X,Y) a positively oriented basis.

Conversely, given a global orthonormal frame (X,Y), you get a canonical choice of orientation at each tg space: declare positively oriented those basis that share the same orientation as (X,Y).

I let you fill in the details.

4. Oct 20, 2012 #3

Bacle2

Science Advisor

Still, if the surface S is parametrized in R^3 (which I assume is the case) and

orientable, doesn't if follow that S is either an embedded surface or a submanifold of

R^3. Then the tangent space T_pS to S at p is a subspace of the tangent space

T_pR^3 , so the result would follow. Right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook