Existence of Scalar Potential for Irrotational Fields

In summary, it is possible to prove that if a vector field has a potential, then its curl is equal to zero. However, the converse may also be true, as shown by establishing the existence of a potential function and proving its independence of path. This is demonstrated using the mean value theorem for integrals and by showing that the partial derivatives of the potential function are equal to the corresponding components of the vector field. Appropriate continuity of partials may also be required for this result.
center o bass
Hi I know it's easy to prove that if a vectorfield is the gradien of a potential, [tex] \vec F = \nabla V[/tex], then [tex]\nabla \times F = 0.[/tex] But how about the converse relation? Can I prove that if [tex]\nabla \times F = 0,[/tex] then there exist a salar potential such that [tex] \vec F = \nabla V?[/tex]

I get as far as proving the existence of a potential function

[tex]V(\vec r) = \int_{\vec r_0}^{\vec r} \vec F \cdot d\vec r,[/tex]
but how do I now establish that

[tex] F = \nabla V?[/tex]

What is the gradient of a line integral?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
center o bass said:
Hi I know it's easy to prove that if a vectorfield is the gradien of a potential, [tex] \vec F = \nabla V[/tex], then [tex]\nabla \times F = 0.[/tex] But how about the converse relation? Can I prove that if [tex]\nabla \times F = 0,[/tex] then there exist a salar potential such that [tex] \vec F = \nabla V?[/tex]

I get as far as proving the existence of a potential function

but how do I now establish that

[tex] F = \nabla V?[/tex]

What is the gradient of a line integral?

To answer your last question first, that line integral evaluates to a scalar function of x,y, and z (it's the integral of a dot product). Now, if you have

you automatically have independence of path. Let me rewrite that equation:

[tex]V(x,y,z) = \int_{P_0(x_0,y_0,z_0)}^{P(x,y,z)}\langle S(x,y,z),T(x,y,z),U(x,y,z)\rangle \cdot\langle dx,dy,dz\rangle[/tex]

You want to show, for example, that Vx(x,y,z) = S(x,y,z)

Look at:
[tex]\frac {V(x+h,y,z)-V(x,y,z)}{h}=\frac 1 h\left(\int_{(x_0,y_0,z_0)}^{(x+h,y,z)}
\vec F\cdot d\vec r - \int_{(x_0,y_0,z_0)}^{(x,y,z)}
\vec F\cdot d\vec r\right)[/tex]

Now that first integral can be taken along any path. So let's use the path from
(x0,y0,z0) to (x,y,z) to (x+h,y,z) for the first integral. The first section of the path will cancel with the second integral leaving

[tex]\frac {V(x+h,y,z)-V(x,y,z)}{h}=\frac 1 h\left(\int_{(x,y,z)}^{(x+h,y,z)}
S(x,y,z)\,dx\right) [/tex]

since dy and dz are 0 on this path segment. Now apply the mean value theorem for integrals on the x variable:

[tex]\frac 1 h\left(\int_{(x,y,z)}^{(x+h,y,z)}
S(x,y,z)\,dx\right) = \frac{hS(c,y,z)}{h}[/tex]
for some c between x and x+h. Now if you let h→0 you get Vx=S(x,y,z).

You do the other two partials similarly.

Last edited:
Thank you! That was a very clear explanation.

So one may then conclude that for a irrotational field

[tex]\vec F = \nabla \int_{\vec r_0}^{\vec r} \vec{F} \cdot d \vec r ?[/tex]

center o bass said:
Thank you! That was a very clear explanation.

So one may then conclude that for a irrotational field

[tex]\vec F = \nabla \int_{\vec r_0}^{\vec r} \vec{F} \cdot d \vec r ?[/tex]

Yes, as long as all relevant hypotheses are satisfied. I don't have a reference handy, but I think appropriate continuity of partials on an open connected set was mentioned if I remember correctly.

What is a scalar potential?

A scalar potential is a mathematical function used in physics to describe the energy associated with a conservative force field. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and no direction.

What is the significance of scalar potential in physics?

Scalar potential is important in physics because it allows us to understand and calculate the energy associated with conservative forces, such as gravity or electromagnetism. It also helps us predict the behavior of particles in these force fields.

How is scalar potential different from vector potential?

While scalar potential is a scalar quantity, vector potential is a vector quantity. Scalar potential describes the energy associated with the force, whereas vector potential describes the direction and magnitude of the force itself.

Can scalar potential exist without a force field?

No, scalar potential cannot exist without a force field. It is a mathematical concept used to describe the energy associated with conservative force fields, so without a force field, there is no need for a scalar potential.

What are some real-world applications of scalar potential?

Scalar potential has many real-world applications, including in electromagnetism, where it is used to calculate the potential energy of charged particles in a field, and in fluid dynamics, where it can be used to calculate the potential energy of fluid particles in a gravitational field.