1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Existence of scalar potential

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    Hi I know it's easy to prove that if a vectorfield is the gradien of a potential, [tex] \vec F = \nabla V[/tex], then [tex]\nabla \times F = 0.[/tex] But how about the converse relation? Can I prove that if [tex]\nabla \times F = 0,[/tex] then there exist a salar potential such that [tex] \vec F = \nabla V?[/tex]

I get as far as proving the existence of a potential function

[tex]V(\vec r) = \int_{\vec r_0}^{\vec r} \vec F \cdot d\vec r,[/tex]
    but how do I now establish that

[tex] F = \nabla V?[/tex]

What is the gradient of a line integral?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To answer your last question first, that line integral evaluates to a scalar function of x,y, and z (it's the integral of a dot product). Now, if you have

[tex]V(\vec r) = \int_{\vec r_0}^{\vec r} \vec F \cdot d\vec r,[/tex]

you automatically have independence of path. Let me rewrite that equation:

[tex]V(x,y,z) = \int_{P_0(x_0,y_0,z_0)}^{P(x,y,z)}\langle S(x,y,z),T(x,y,z),U(x,y,z)\rangle \cdot\langle dx,dy,dz\rangle[/tex]

You want to show, for example, that Vx(x,y,z) = S(x,y,z)

Look at:
    [tex]\frac {V(x+h,y,z)-V(x,y,z)}{h}=\frac 1 h\left(\int_{(x_0,y_0,z_0)}^{(x+h,y,z)}
    \vec F\cdot d\vec r - \int_{(x_0,y_0,z_0)}^{(x,y,z)}
    \vec F\cdot d\vec r\right)[/tex]

Now that first integral can be taken along any path. So let's use the path from
    (x0,y0,z0) to (x,y,z) to (x+h,y,z) for the first integral. The first section of the path will cancel with the second integral leaving

[tex]\frac {V(x+h,y,z)-V(x,y,z)}{h}=\frac 1 h\left(\int_{(x,y,z)}^{(x+h,y,z)}
    S(x,y,z)\,dx\right) [/tex]

since dy and dz are 0 on this path segment. Now apply the mean value theorem for integrals on the x variable:

[tex]\frac 1 h\left(\int_{(x,y,z)}^{(x+h,y,z)}
    S(x,y,z)\,dx\right) = \frac{hS(c,y,z)}{h}[/tex]
    for some c between x and x+h. Now if you let h→0 you get Vx=S(x,y,z).

You do the other two partials similarly.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  4. Sep 30, 2011 #3
    Thank you! That was a very clear explanation.

So one may then conclude that for a irrotational field

[tex]\vec F = \nabla \int_{\vec r_0}^{\vec r} \vec{F} \cdot d \vec r ?[/tex]

5. Sep 30, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, as long as all relevant hypotheses are satisfied. I don't have a reference handy, but I think appropriate continuity of partials on an open connected set was mentioned if I remember correctly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook