1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Existence of soviet union and the copyright

1. Mar 17, 2005 #1
    Well hello
    i have a lots of russian books translated in english by mir publishers i am really fond of them they are quiet good.
    irodov being best in undergrad physics numericals.
    now i want to know
    that since these books were written at time of existence of soviet union and the copyright holds back then and i am even not sure mir publishers exist now after decline of soviet union . does this mean that they are now not protected by copyright laws if so then i would be glad to scan and upload them so that all of you can see their beauty.
    bye

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2005 #2
    Mir Publishers are out of business. Their books are no longer in print. I am trying to find places where I can buy these books. I found one internet web site with limited supply in the U.S. and ordered a few from them a couple of months ago. Please if it would be possible for you to scan and upload them , I would appreciate it.

4. May 13, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would be a great thing.:smile: Doesn't matter whether in French,English or German.Irodov's book is excellent.

Daniel.

5. May 13, 2005 #4
    If mir publishing had the copyrights and didn't sell the copyright to anyone before it went under, then there is no legal recourse anyone can take against you. While technically a copyright would last for many years(probably is even in effect today), you would not be persecuted because the copyright owner(Mir in this case) doesn't exist. In other words it would be very hard for a company that doesn't exist to sue you. However, that being said, it is much more likely in my mind that another publishing company bought the copyrights, probably at a dirt cheap price before the company went under. So i would advise if you are afraid of legal recourse not to make these things available on the internet. I'm sure that russia has a competent patent office, and that either through a letter or an email you can enquire on the specific copyright laws and/or who owns the copyright. Which should solve the problem, except for the little detail that it will be hard for you to send an email or letter unless you know russian. Well as always the chioce is yours, and i wouldn't mind having other textbooks as reference. By the way this is my opinion not legal advice.

6. May 14, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Or you can do it,as you probably have already done:be egoistic & scan them only for your eyes...:devil:

Daniel.

7. May 14, 2005 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. May 14, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  9. May 14, 2005 #8
    How do you find out if they own the copyright? They might just happen to have left over books and selling out their remaining stock.

I came across this website, http://urss.ru/
    They have some Mir Publishers books if you do some searching.

10. May 14, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The idea of this thread was to get them free...:wink: Anyway,i guess that's illegal,since they sold their copyright.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?