Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Existence of superpartners

1. Jul 7, 2009 #1
    I have just finished reading a book on supersymmetry that was written in 1999. It explained extensively about the existence of superpartners. As of 199, though, none had been observed. My question is have any been observed in the last ten years? Also has the Higgs Boson been observed in that time frame as well? And is the Large Hardon Collider up and running? Thank you. (My school library is limited in its recently written physics books. Finding a book only ten years old is a rarity.)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2009 #2
    Re: Supersymmetry

i know the LHD was started up for testing not too long ago but was shut back down soon after to fix something

4. Jul 7, 2009 #3

The answer to all of your questions is no. There have been no observations of superpartners, no observations of the Higgs, and the LHC is not yet running (although, it is supposed to be within the next few months).

5. Jul 8, 2009 #4

Thank you. The book I read was by Gordon Kane of Ann Arbor and he made it seem like the detection of 'sparticles' was in the recent future.

6. Jul 8, 2009 #5

Above seems right... wikipedia superpartner says
    I believe the CERN LHC had an electromagent overheat or burn....Due this summer for operation..but don't hold your breath!!!

7. Jul 8, 2009 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

huh?!

8. Jul 8, 2009 #7

garrett

Gold Member

9. Jul 8, 2009 #8

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yeah of course they think? ;-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook