Existence of Vector Potential

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that there exists a vector A such that the divergence of C is equal to the curl of A. The speaker is unsure of how to approach this problem, but speculates that A must be constructed in some way. They are also unsure if this can be proved using introductory vector calculus, and mentions not having knowledge of differential topology or Poincare's Lemma. The conversation also includes a question about the value of ∇.(∇xA).
morangta

Homework Statement

Given that the divergence of a vector C = 0, show that there exists a vector A such that C = curl A.

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

No clue. Can this be proved with introductory vector calculus? That's all I know, including many of the vector-calculus identities. I don't know anything about differential topology, Poincare's Lemma, etc.

I assume that somehow A has to be constructed, but that's as far as I get.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
morangta said:

Homework Statement

Given that the divergence of a vector C = 0, show that there exists a vector A such that C = curl A.

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

No clue. Can this be proved with introductory vector calculus? That's all I know, including many of the vector-calculus identities. I don't know anything about differential topology, Poincare's Lemma, etc.

I assume that somehow A has to be constructed, but that's as far as I get.

Thank you.

What is .(xA)?

1. What is a vector potential?

A vector potential is a mathematical concept used in the study of electromagnetism. It is a function that describes the magnetic field in terms of the electric current that creates it.

2. What is the significance of the vector potential?

The vector potential is significant because it allows us to describe the magnetic field in terms of a simpler quantity, the electric current. This makes it easier to solve complex problems in electromagnetism.

3. How is the vector potential related to the magnetic field?

The vector potential and the magnetic field are closely related. The magnetic field can be found by taking the curl of the vector potential, while the vector potential can be found by taking the inverse curl of the magnetic field.

4. Can the vector potential exist without a magnetic field?

Yes, the vector potential can exist without a magnetic field. This is because the vector potential is a mathematical construct used to describe the magnetic field, but it does not directly create or interact with the magnetic field.

5. How is the vector potential used in practical applications?

The vector potential has many practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors, generators, and other electrical devices. It is also used in the study of quantum mechanics, where it is used to describe the behavior of particles in the presence of magnetic fields.