1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Existense of Tangent Line

1. Jun 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Q: Does the graph of f(x) = x^(1/2) have a point of tangency with the line y = (x/4) + 1?

2. Relevant equations
    lim x->a (f(x) - f(a)) / (x-a)

3. The attempt at a solution
    If the limit exists of the relevant equation than there is a point of tangency.

So i'm having a bit of trouble proving anything here....
    using the equation I come to

lim x->a (x^(1/2) - (x/4) + 1) / (x-a)

which looks like as x goes to a the denominator will approach zero which leads me to believe it diverges to infinity??? does that mean the limit doesn't exist?

When setting the equations equal to eachother I find that they intersect at (4,2). Do I plug 4 in for a? same thing happens except this time the numerator obviously approaches zero as well...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

What does the curve y=√x and a line of tangency have in common? You do not have to resort to the precise definition of a limit to solve the question.

4. Jun 26, 2014 #3
    How would I use the precise definition here? Just for the sake of using it. To answer your question the curve y=x^(1/2) and a tangent line have in common? I'm not sure... This equation will cover the whole positive y positive x axis as x-> infinity but will get more and more linear looking at big values of x? And tangent lines are linear?

5. Jun 26, 2014 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Jun 26, 2014 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

A tangent line to a curve at a point has the same gradient as the curve locally.
    Try writing the above in math. You are right that the line and the curve intersect only at x=4, so that would be the only possible point of tangency. You want the limit as x → 4 of f(x) = √x to be the same as the limit as x→4 of g(x) = (x/4) + 1.

See above.

You could do the same as the above, but without invoking the limit. What is the derivative (i.e gradient) of y=√x at any point along the real axis? What about y=(x/4)+1?

7. Jun 27, 2014 #6

CAF123

Gold Member

This should read: you want the limit as x→4 of (f(x)-f(4))/(x-4) and the limit as x→4 of (g(x)-g(4))/(x-4), where f and g are defined in the quote.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted