Existential and universal quantifiers

• Thread starter bonfire09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universal
In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for quarantining in a dorm if one person has measles. The logical form of the conversation can be represented as "If there exists a person in the dorm who has measles, then for all persons who have a friend in the dorm, they will have to be quarantined." This can also be represented using variables and quantifiers as ∃x(H(x)^M(x))->∀y(F(y,x)->Q(y)).
bonfire09
If anyone in the dorm has the measles, then everyone who has a friend
in the dorm will have to be quarantined

I'm supposed to convert this sentence into a logical form. I'm having trouble breaking this sentence apart because I am not sure what to look for. I need help with this thanks?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you see statements similar to as "for all" and "there exists" in the sentence?

so you mean like this.
where it says if anyone in the dorm has measles is similar to there exists
and where it say where "everyone who has a friend..." is similar to for all

but what about the if and the then? I tried breaking it apart like that and the answer I got was way off the original answer.

OK, so you can already write it like this:

[itex]\exists[/itex] person in dorm who has measles, then [itex]\forall[/itex] person who has a friend will be quarantined.

You're still missing an existential quantifier though. Maybe you can try to write the previous sentence in even more formal notation?

well my original answer goes like this

∃ x(D(x,y)^M(x)) → ∀y((F(y,x)^Q(y))

where D(x,y) is where x is anyone who lives in the dorm y
M(x) is where x has measles
followed by
F(y,x) where y is the friend of x who has measles
Q(y)- y the friend has to get quarantened

bonfire09 said:
well my original answer goes like this

∃ x(D(x,y)^M(x)) → ∀y((F(y,x)^Q(y))

where D(x,y) is where x is anyone who lives in the dorm y
M(x) is where x has measles
followed by
Q(y)- y the friend has to get quarantened

This can be improved. You have only two variables right now x and y. But you need much more. First, you use x for the person who live in the dorm and the friend who lives in the dorm (who are not necessarily the same person), you need to use separate variables.
You use y for the person who has the friend and for the dorm. These require separate variables (logically, you don't need an extra variable, but increases readability a lot). Furthermore, I'm not sure if you need a variable for the dorm.

∃ x(F(x,y)^D(x,z)^E(y,z)^M(x)) → ∀y((F(y,x)^Q(y))

where F(x,y) is where x is friend of y
D(x,z) is where x friend lives in dorm z
E(y,z)- is where y lives in a dorm as well z
M(y)- is where y has measles
Q(y)- y the friend has to get quarantined

Am i doing this right now?

Yeah I'm not able to figure this one out. I tried to break apart like this

∃ x(If Someone has measles then their friends will all be quarantined)
∀ z(If z is a friend of x and lives in the dorm then z would have to be quarantined)

is there something free online that would help me figure this out?

bonfire09 said:
∃ x(F(x,y)^D(x,z)^E(y,z)^M(x)) → ∀y((F(y,x)^Q(y))

where F(x,y) is where x is friend of y
D(x,z) is where x friend lives in dorm z
E(y,z)- is where y lives in a dorm as well z
M(y)- is where y has measles
Q(y)- y the friend has to get quarantined

Am i doing this right now?

No, it isn't correct yet. If you are writing a statement (as opposed to a statement-expressions) every variable should be in the "scope" of some quantifier. If you examine what you have written, the variable "z"is not in the scope of any quantifier. So you haven't written a statement.

To express "if anyone in the dorm has measles", think of it as "if there exists a person who is both in the dorm and has measles". You only need one variable to express this.

D(x) : x lives in the dorm
M(x): x has measles

To express "Everyone who has a friend in the dorm will have to be quarantined", I think you only need two variables.

F(x,y) : y is a friend of x
As above, D(y): y lives in the dorm
Q(x): x must be quarantined

Think of it as saying: For each person x, if there is some y who is a friend of x and who lives in the dorm then x must be quarantined.

The statement does not say that y must have measles.

do these statements have to look exactly the same as the ones in the book? Mine are coming out pretty similar but a little bit off. I may add an extra variable like q(x) to it for example. Should I worry about that or as long I am getting the concepts that's fine? and thanks a lot for your guys help!

bonfire09 said:
do these statements have to look exactly the same as the ones in the book?
That's a question only your instructor can answer.
Mine are coming out pretty similar but a little bit off. I may add an extra variable like q(x) to it for example.
g(x) isn't a variable. 'x' is a variable. What do your text materials call expressions like "g(x)"?
Should I worry about that or as long I am getting the concepts that's fine?
You have to get the concepts to the extent that your answers are correct. Can you give a correct answer to this problem?

Why not use piecewise functions:

H(x)=0 if no one has measles, or H(x)=1 if at least one person does.
F(y)=1 if person y has a friend in the dorm, or 0 if they don't.
Q(y)=1 if person y must be quarantined, or 0 if they don't.

Therefore, if [itex]\exists y_0:H(x)F(y_0)=1 => Q(y_0)=1[/itex]

meldraft said:
Why not use piecewise functions:

H(x)=0 if no one has measles, or H(x)=1 if at least one person does.
F(y)=1 if person y has a friend in the dorm, or 0 if they don't.
Q(y)=1 if person y must be quarantined, or 0 if they don't.

Therefore, if [itex]\exists y_0:H(x)F(y_0)=1 => Q(y_0)=1[/itex]

This is not valid predicate logic and totally not the point of the exercise.

Last edited:
Stephen Tashi said:
That's a question only your instructor can answer.

I'm actually trying to learn this stuff on my own right now. P(x) represents a statement. Yeah I can try to give the correct answer now.

∃x (D(x)^M(x))→∀y(F(y,x)^D(y))→q(y)

D(x)- x lives in a dorm
M(x)- x has the measles
F(y,x)-y is a friend of x
D(y)-y lives in a dorm
q(y)- y needs to quarantined

bonfire09 said:
I'm actually trying to learn this stuff on my own right now. P(x) represents a statement. Yeah I can try to give the correct answer now.∃x (D(x)^M(x))→∀y(F(y,x)^D(y))→q(y)

D(x)- x lives in a dorm
M(x)- x has the measles
F(y,x)-y is a friend of x
D(y)-y lives in a dorm
q(y)- y needs to quarantined

Two remarks. You have something of the form [itex]A\rightarrow B\rightarrow C[/itex] right now. It would be better to add some brackets here. So I think you mean:

∃x (D(x)^M(x))→(∀y(F(y,x)^D(y))→q(y))

Anyway. You say F(y,x), which means that y is a friend of x. But this x does not need to be the same x that has measles! The statement here is:

If anyone in the dorm has the measles, then everyone who has a friend in the dorm will have to be quarantined.

So let's say John has measles and let's say Robert lives in the same dorm. Then any friend of Robert needs to be quarantined. This is how I interpret the sentence.
What you wrote is that only the friends of John need to be quarantined.

So you can not use F(y,x). You need to introduce a new variable z somehow and write F(y,z).

∃x (D(x)^M(x))→∀y(F(y,x)^D(y))→q(y)

You have to pay attention to the "scope" of the quantifiers. How to define "scope" formally may be in the materials you are studying or it may only be treated informally. I can only explain it informally!

We already know that on a page in a math book, that a variable like 'x' may mean one thing in one paragraph and something different in the next. For example, in problem 1, 'x' may stand for one thing and in problem 23, 'x' may mean something different. This similar to the "scope" of variable in computer programming. The value of 'x' in the code for one function doesn't determine the value of 'x' in the code for another function, unless 'x' is variable whose "scope" includes both functions (such as a "global" variable).

When you use a quantifer "there exists" on the variable 'x' in an exression that contains lot's of x's, the "there exists" may only apply to a few of them. The way to be unambiguous about this is to use parentheses or brackets to show what a quantifier applies to.

For example:

"There is person in class who is smart and everyone in class is has limited abilities".

S(x): x is smart
L(x) : x has limited abilities
C(x): x is in class

[tex] \exists x \{ C(x) \wedge S(x) \} \wedge \forall x \{ C(x) \rightarrow L(x) \} [/tex]

It is clearer to most human minds to write the above as:

[tex] \exists x \{ C(x) \wedge S(x) \} \wedge \forall y \{ C(y) \rightarrow L(y) \} [/tex]

but it is not necesary to introduce the symbol 'y'. The symbol 'x' can be re-used by putting it in the scope of different quantifiers.

Someone reading your answer would have to interpret all the x's as being in the scope of the "there exists" and your answer, as I read it, claims: "There is a person with the property that if that person lives in the dormitory and has measels then all friends of that person who live in the dormitory must be quarantined."

You need to introduce another quantifier on the right hand side of the [itex] \rightarrow [/itex]. The idea you need to express is that "for each y { if ( there is some x who lives in the dormitory and y is a friend of x) then (y must be quarantined)}.

∃x (D(x)^M(x))→ ∃y((∀z F(y,z))^D(y))→q(y)

I think now it reads right ."For someone x if x lives in a dorm and has the measles then everyone z who has a friend y and lives in the dorm has to get quarantined."

Last edited:
bonfire09 said:
∃x (D(x)^M(x))→ ∃y((∀z F(y,z))^D(y))→q(y)

That says "If there is some x who lives in the dorm and has measles then there is some y such that if y is a friend of everything and y lives in the dorm then y must be quarantined"

You need to change the order of the [itex] \exists y [/itex] and [itex] \forall z [/itex] and get z quarantined instead of y.

[itex] \exists x \{ D(x) \wedge M(x)\} \rightarrow \forall z \{ \exists y\{ ... [/itex] etc.

∃x (D(x)^M(x))→ ∀z((∃y F(y,z))^D(z))→q(z)

so every y who has a friend z where z lives in the dorm? Is this right?

Last edited:
bonfire09 said:
∃x (D(x)^M(x))→ ∀z((∃y F(y,z))^D(z))→q(z)

so every y who has a friend z where z lives in the dorm? Is this right?

The last part of what you wrote needs a minor fix. Put y in the dorm, not z. The last part should apply to every z who has a friend y with the property that y lives in the dorm.

micromass said:
This is not valid predicate logic and totally not the point of the exercise.

Oooops, sorry! The engineer inside me is to blame :biggrin:

Question 1: What is an existential quantifier?

An existential quantifier is a logical symbol that represents the phrase "there exists" in mathematical and philosophical statements. It indicates that there is at least one element in a set that satisfies a given condition.

Question 2: What is a universal quantifier?

A universal quantifier is a logical symbol that represents the phrase "for all" in mathematical and philosophical statements. It indicates that the given condition applies to every element in a set.

Question 3: How are existential and universal quantifiers used in logic?

Existential and universal quantifiers are used to make statements about the properties of a set of objects. They allow us to express concepts such as "there exists an element with property X" or "all elements have property X" in a precise and logical manner.

Question 4: Can existential and universal quantifiers be used together?

Yes, existential and universal quantifiers can be used together in a single statement. For example, "For all x, there exists y such that x + y = 10" would mean that for every number x, there exists a number y that, when added to x, equals 10.

Question 5: What is the difference between existential and universal quantifiers?

The main difference between existential and universal quantifiers is in their meaning and use. Existential quantifiers indicate that there is at least one element with a given property, while universal quantifiers indicate that the given property applies to all elements. In other words, existential quantifiers make statements about the existence of objects, while universal quantifiers make statements about the properties of objects.