What is the true cost of living a fulfilling life?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
In summary, these are the essentials that I believe are most important in life: freedom, learning, power, sex, and English Dictionary.

Which of the following do you value most in life?

• Romance

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Memories

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Family

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Occupation

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Friendships

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Nature

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Fame

• Wealth

• Spirituality

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Health

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
Loren Booda
Which essentials do you value most in life?

Physics news on Phys.org
List is major incomplete. Learning, Understanding, Creative Activities, and Contemplation should be on it.

Agreed. That's what I get for trying to impose my own values into a list of ten choices for others. Perhaps you all would like to attempt such a list here for yourselves. Feel free.

Hmmm. Memories is a good one. Family, hell I love many of those things. But I guess I would say knowledge is one of the top ones if not the top. Hard to pick just one :)

Jameson

I would choose hapiness, that is the only reason I would do anything, be it learn, have friends etc. etc.
When I say hapiness, I do not mean pleasure or comfort or any of those things. What I mean is that feeling of well-being that you get inside, that full satisfaction with life.

Sometimes I think that people originally do things to make themselves happy, such as attain wealth, for reasons like security etc. But, after a time, they forget why they are actually attaining wealth, and so they can commonly become unhappy because of this.

Just my little theory.

I think a major omission from this list is: free time. That is, time that you have available to you to pursue whatever it is you wish to pursue. For me, nothing is more important than that.

Would free time fall under freedom (another obvious omission) in general?

Freedom cannot be the most important thing to me, because if I was unfree to do anything other than what I was doing, but I enjoyed what I was doing, I'd be happy. It's hard to trump happiness in principle, but when I look back at my life, I've done plenty of things that made me very unhappy. At times I've even done things knowing they would make me unhappy. I get the feeling that there is some general set of principles by which I live my life, but it's very difficult to figure out exactly what principles compose that set. Learning has always been very important to me. Power in one-on-one relationships is a big motivating factor, but I'm not very power hungry outside of that. Excellence, in the form of doing whatever it is that I do very well and better than my peers, has always been important. Anyway . . .

Loren Booda said:
Would free time fall under freedom (another obvious omission) in general?

Yes, I would put it in that category, but I'm not sure about other people.

And shouldn't uncomplicated and fun sex be regarded as an existential essential?

arildno said:
And shouldn't uncomplicated and fun sex be regarded as an existential essential?

Given the scarcity of that particular product, I've always considered it a luxury. I'd also like to think that nothing is essential to me that I cannot, in principle, provide for myself.

There's lots of things you need..

Anti-gravity powered interstellar flying disk.

Laser pistol.

Anal probe.

Cattle mutilation tool-kit.

Telepathy.

English Dictionary.

Spray Gray-in-a-Can.

And that's the list of extraterrestrial essentials.

All these essentials are indeed needed by almost all people. However, all such essentials require one thing in order for them to be "owned", "had" or "used". Nothing comes without paying the price in the form of the expenditure of energy/strength - power.

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of life?

The concept of "Existential essentials" suggests that the meaning of life is subjective and can differ from person to person. It is up to each individual to find their own purpose and meaning in life.

2. How do I cope with the fear of death?

Existentialism teaches that death is an inevitable part of life and that it is important to accept and come to terms with our mortality. By focusing on living fully in the present, we can find peace and meaning in our lives.

3. Is there a higher power or ultimate truth?

Existential philosophy does not adhere to any specific belief in a higher power or ultimate truth. It encourages individuals to question and explore their own beliefs and find their own truths.

4. How can I find my purpose or passion in life?

According to existentialism, there is no predetermined purpose or passion for individuals. It is up to each person to create their own purpose and find what brings them fulfillment and meaning in life.

5. Can we truly have free will?

Existentialism acknowledges that there are external factors that can influence our choices, but ultimately, we have the freedom to make our own choices and create our own paths in life.