Answering Existential Questions: Societal Pressures & Authentic Living

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
G=SearchIn summary, the conversation is about existentialism and its principles of leading a first-hand life and authenticity. The first question is about how existentialists dealt with societal pressures and laws, to which the response suggests looking at biographies of famous existentialists. The second question delves into the idea of living an authentic existential life with limited knowledge and resources, to which the response highlights the individual's determination of right and wrong and the challenge of addressing life from within.
I just got out of class and I didn't get to ask a couple burning questions I had, maybe some of you can help me.

1. If existentialists were concerned about leading a first-hand life, how did they deal with societal pressures and laws.

2. Can we really live an authentic existential life. For example, if I have a problem, in the whole world of possibility say there are 4 solutions. However, in our narrow lives we can't know all possibilites so say I am only aware of 2. I pick one that I feel is best for me, however in reality of all solutions one of the two that I didn't know would have been best for me. So we can only live the best and most truthful life with the limited resources we have, but does that fufil the ideal existential life?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't tell me that our site Admin is posting homework questions without showing us how he started them! :eek:

Tom Mattson said:
Don't tell me that our site Admin is posting homework questions without showing us how he started them! :eek:

Haha these are questions I formed off the top of my head through the discussions we had in class. My class is awesome in that we don't get homework, it's all open discussion.

OK, I'll start.

Greg Bernhardt said:
1. If existentialists were concerned about leading a first-hand life, how did they deal with societal pressures and laws.

This sounds like a historical question. Seems to me that you can answer it by looking up biographies of famous existentialists and see how they dealt with such things.

2. Can we really live an authentic existential life.

That depends on how you define existentialism. I think that most (all?) existentialists do not hold to universals in ethical questions, and that it is the individual that determines what is right and wrong. So it seems to me that the existentialist ideal is to do the best you can with what you know. And "the best" is defined by the individual.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I just got out of class and I didn't get to ask a couple burning questions I had, maybe some of you can help me.

2. Can we really live an authentic existential life. For example, if I have a problem, in the whole world of possibility say there are 4 solutions. However, in our narrow lives we can't know all possibilites so say I am only aware of 2. I pick one that I feel is best for me, however in reality of all solutions one of the two that I didn't know would have been best for me. So we can only live the best and most truthful life with the limited resources we have, but does that fufil the ideal existential life?

1. The answer is in Sartre's La Nausee and Huis Clos and in Camus' l'Etranger. The famous summary from Huis Clos: "Hell is other people".

2. The assumption that there are four and only four solutions is essentialist. You PRETEND to be able to analyze life in this way but you can't. There is only the moment as you find it, and to be authentic you must challenge it from within.

selfAdjoint said:
and to be authentic you must challenge it from within.

What the heck does that mean?

1. What are existential questions?

Existential questions are questions that revolve around the meaning and purpose of one's existence, such as "Why am I here?" or "What is the meaning of life?" They often bring up deep and philosophical thoughts about the nature of humanity and our place in the world.

2. How do societal pressures affect our ability to answer existential questions?

Societal pressures, such as cultural norms and expectations, can greatly influence our thoughts and behaviors. They can create a sense of conformity and limit our ability to think independently and question the world around us. This can make it difficult to answer existential questions authentically and without bias.

3. What is authentic living?

Authentic living is living in accordance with one's true self and values, rather than conforming to societal expectations. It involves being honest and genuine in one's thoughts, actions, and relationships. It also means being able to answer existential questions without being influenced by external pressures.

4. Why is it important to explore existential questions?

Exploring existential questions allows us to gain a deeper understanding of ourselves and the world we live in. It can lead to personal growth and a sense of purpose. It also allows us to critically examine societal pressures and how they may be impacting our thoughts and behaviors.

5. How can we balance societal pressures and authentic living?

It can be challenging to balance societal pressures and authentic living, but it is possible. It involves being aware of our thoughts and behaviors and questioning whether they align with our true selves. It also means being open to exploring existential questions and not conforming to societal expectations without critical thinking.