Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exoplanet Dynamics

1. Mar 13, 2005 #1

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hello Everyone

I am currently researching a paper on the history of exoplanet hunting and I have reached an impass. I have heard a theory about how massive planets migrate towards their parent star by interacting with other massive planets, but ihave been unable to find the original journal article or paper anywhere. Anyone who knows of any papers on the subject could they please direct me to where they were published?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2005 #2

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most planet migration scenarios I've heard of involve asymmetric torques from the protoplanetary disk, but I guess there are a lot of theories. Here's a paper that might be worth checking out:

Planet Migration

4. Mar 13, 2005 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks spacetiger but i already have information on interactions with planetary discs and other tidal force theories but this one was specifically about giant planet interactions.

5. Mar 13, 2005 #4

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The paper is a review, so it includes those as well.

6. Mar 13, 2005 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah. That will teach me to read just the first few lines of an abstract.

Sorry and thankyou

7. Mar 13, 2005 #6

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No problem at all. If that doesn't provide you with the information you need, try following the chain of references given in that paper (using the abstract service I linked or ADS).

8. Mar 13, 2005 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes there were plenty references on the first paper I just needed a starter to get me going.

9. Mar 14, 2005 #8
    An additional reference

hi,
    the follwoing is a paper that analyses the possiblity of interaction between two jupiter like planets much after the 'formation' process is over..
    shows that one could get ejected with the other orbiting the central star at very small radii....
    this is suspected to be the funda behind the many jup size planets that have been found near nearby stars.
    genusunique

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-bib_query?bibcode=1996Sci...274..954R&db_key=AST

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?