Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ExoPlanet Hunting

1. Oct 14, 2006 #1
    Hi there,

Im wondering if it is possible to observe a known star that is known to have a Jupiter planet orbiting it, and analyse its light intensity to search for the planet with a Celestron C11 XLT and a CCD?
    Examining its spectra with some computer software.
    Its a thought for my final year project for my physics degree.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

I am not an amateur astronomer but I can tell you that in internet you can find lots of impressive of results of amateurs on this area especially applying differential photometry to the TrES-1 transits. This should be possible with such a telescope as far as I have read. Here you can find an article with some interesting links.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  4. Oct 15, 2006 #3

Staff: Mentor

You asked this exact question two months ago...
  5. Oct 17, 2006 #4
    I asked the question for a final year project. Now I was asking if it were possible to detect signs of a planet with the C11.
  6. Oct 17, 2006 #5

Staff: Mentor

This is the article I posted two months ago: http://www.aavso.org/observing/programs/ccd/transitsearch.shtml

In it is discussion of detection methods and candidate stars/exoplanets, including one around a 7.7 magnitude star that it says was initially discovered by a 4" telescope. Definitely within the range of a C11.

Having just picked up a C11, I may try this myself sometime...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?