1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ExoPlanet Hunting

1. Oct 14, 2006 #1
    Hi there,

Im wondering if it is possible to observe a known star that is known to have a Jupiter planet orbiting it, and analyse its light intensity to search for the planet with a Celestron C11 XLT and a CCD?
    Examining its spectra with some computer software.
    Its a thought for my final year project for my physics degree.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2006 #2

hellfire

Science Advisor

I am not an amateur astronomer but I can tell you that in internet you can find lots of impressive of results of amateurs on this area especially applying differential photometry to the TrES-1 transits. This should be possible with such a telescope as far as I have read. Here you can find an article with some interesting links.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  4. Oct 15, 2006 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You asked this exact question two months ago...

5. Oct 17, 2006 #4
    I asked the question for a final year project. Now I was asking if it were possible to detect signs of a planet with the C11.

6. Oct 17, 2006 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

This is the article I posted two months ago: http://www.aavso.org/observing/programs/ccd/transitsearch.shtml

In it is discussion of detection methods and candidate stars/exoplanets, including one around a 7.7 magnitude star that it says was initially discovered by a 4" telescope. Definitely within the range of a C11.

Having just picked up a C11, I may try this myself sometime...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?