Exothermic reaction involving air and a reactant to produce harmless breathable gas

• Thread starter lrussell
  • Start date
Hi,

wondering if you could help me.
I want to find a chemical reaction that would involve:

Reactant + Air (or gases present within)----Exothermic----> Harmless gas

Any help would be appreciated if you knew of a chemical that I could use to react with air to produce heat and a harmless gas(es). The aim of the reaction is just to produce heat by the way. Not interested in what harmless gas is produced but it has to be breathable.

Thanks a lot

lrussell

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor

Hi,

wondering if you could help me.
I want to find a chemical reaction that would involve:

Reactant + Air (or gases present within)----Exothermic----> Harmless gas

Any help would be appreciated if you knew of a chemical that I could use to react with air to produce heat and a harmless gas(es). The aim of the reaction is just to produce heat by the way. Not interested in what harmless gas is produced but it has to be breathable.

Thanks a lot

lrussell

Welcome to the PF.

This technology is used in "Heat Packs" that activate when exposed to air. You should look into what chemical process they use. You can find them in the camping section of your hardware store, or at sporting goods stores.

S_Head_02b.jpg

Thanks, any idea what chemicals react though? I'll look into the bags aswell to see if it says

berkeman
Mentor

Thanks, any idea what chemicals react though? I'll look into the bags aswell to see if it says

I'm an EE, so no clues about the chemical reaction that is used. However, because of the popularity of hot packs, I'm guessing they are using probably the best available reaction, and are relatively safe.

To get more info on the reaction, I googled Hot Packs Chemical Reaction With Air, and got lots of hits. Hopefully these help:

http://www.google.com/search?source...action+with+air&gs_upl=0l0l0l5004lllllllllll0

Thanks a lot you've been a huge help. I know what to use now