Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exothermic reaction involving air and a reactant to produce harmless breathable gas

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    Hi,

wondering if you could help me.
    I want to find a chemical reaction that would involve:

Reactant + Air (or gases present within)----Exothermic----> Harmless gas

Any help would be appreciated if you knew of a chemical that I could use to react with air to produce heat and a harmless gas(es). The aim of the reaction is just to produce heat by the way. Not interested in what harmless gas is produced but it has to be breathable.

Thanks a lot

lrussell

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: Exothermic reaction involving air and a reactant to produce harmless breathable g

Welcome to the PF.

This technology is used in "Heat Packs" that activate when exposed to air. You should look into what chemical process they use. You can find them in the camping section of your hardware store, or at sporting goods stores.

S_Head_02b.jpg

4. Feb 5, 2012 #3
    Re: Exothermic reaction involving air and a reactant to produce harmless breathable g

Thanks, any idea what chemicals react though? I'll look into the bags aswell to see if it says

5. Feb 5, 2012 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm an EE, so no clues about the chemical reaction that is used. However, because of the popularity of hot packs, I'm guessing they are using probably the best available reaction, and are relatively safe.

To get more info on the reaction, I googled Hot Packs Chemical Reaction With Air, and got lots of hits. Hopefully these help:

http://www.google.com/search?source...action+with+air&gs_upl=0l0l0l5004lllllllllll0

6. Feb 5, 2012 #5

Thanks a lot you've been a huge help. I know what to use now

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook