1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exotic imaginaries

1. Jun 24, 2008 #1
    Imaginary numbers have always intrigued me from the very beginning I was taught to believe that some negative root number could have an "i" factored out!

Anyway, I like to know more about this identity if anyone can help me out:

(1+i)^(1+i) = e^ln(root 2)-pi(1/4+2k)e^i(ln(root2)+pi(1/4+2k))

I'm not quite sure as to how 1+i = root 2e^(pi/4+2pi k). I do know that i^i = e^-pi/2 from the identity e^ipi=-1 which gives i = ln(-1)/pi. So my question is why is 1+i = root 2e^(pi/4+2pi k) true? This statement does not seem to make sense to me because it describes both cosine and sine giving 1 as an answer which does not seem to be the case on the unit circle and neither from Euler's identity

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2008 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1 + i is not root 2.

4. Jun 24, 2008 #3
    Ha! Sorry found out my own answer

1+i is really just a case of a+ib on the complex xy plane. The modulus can be calculated using (a^2+b^2)^1/2 and the argument can be done using the fact that tangent = b/a

edit:Yes, dx I'm aware of that. I changed it after you made your post

5. Jun 26, 2008 #4
    Complex powers are not what they seem. You stated that i^i=e^-pi/2, in fact i^i has infinitely many values:
    [tex]i^i=e^{ilogi}=e^{i(i(\frac{\pi}{2}+2k\pi))}=e^{-\frac{\pi}{2}}e^{-2k\pi}[/tex]
    Where k is an integer. This 'multi-valuedness' arises from the fact that the argument of a complex number is 'multi-valued', adding an integer multiple of 2pi to the angle a complex number makes with the positive x-axis (real axis) gives you the same number.
    Moral of story: Beware of complex powers!

Edit: woops in my haste i forgot to re-read your 3rd line which shows you have taken into account the multivaluedness.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook