Pet Ownership Laws in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

In summary: If you live in Edmonton, Alberta, and you want to keep a pet that is not allowed in your area, you should try contacting the Edmonton Humane Society or the Edmonton City Pound. These places would likely have the knowledge you need to keep your pet legally.
NeoDevin
Does anyone here know how to find out if a certain pet is legal or not in your area (or rather, in my area, that begin Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)? I've thought about getting turtles, but I know that many places have restrictions, and was wondering if anyone knows a good resource to find out if something is allowed to be kept or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your city would have that information.

hypatia's right. Your country, province, etc may have laws regarding exotic pets, but the most restrictive regulations are likely to be applied at the local level. Your city cannot rescind regulations applied at a higher level, but they can certainly add more restrictive ones.

Last edited:
I know that, I was wondering if you know precisely where I would go to find out precisely what those regulations are?

You could try calling/visiting the Edmonton Humane Society or the Edmonton City Pound, they would probably know what you need to find out or would at least be able to tell you where to go. Even just a pet store might know.

NeoDevin said:
I know that, I was wondering if you know precisely where I would go to find out precisely what those regulations are?
I don't know how it's done in Canada, but here in the US, cities and even some small towns have animal control officers. They are the ones who enforce the rules about what you can and cannot have as pets, and they should have access to all the information you need.

In Alberta, you have to license dogs, right? (Maybe cats too??) If so, whatever office issues those licenses would likely be a good starting place to ask.

If the other recommendations above run into dead ends, another place you could try calling is a zoo, maybe talk specifically to the herpetologists. Zoos should know about any restrictions because they'd need to apply for permits to keep the animals they have, and would have an interest in helping educate people about not adopting illegal pets. They'd also know what species people contact them about trying to find new homes for when they outgrow their ability to care for them.

One thing to keep in mind about turtles is that some species can have very long lifespans, which is good in terms of not having to go through the grief of pets dying every few years, but can be bad if they outlive you and you need to make arrangements for someone to care for an animal that's much harder to place than a cat or dog.

Thanks, I've been trying to find information online, but haven't been able to find anything. I'll try to figure out where the dog/cat licenses are issued from, and/or check at the zoo.

NeoDevin said:
Thanks, I've been trying to find information online, but haven't been able to find anything. I'll try to figure out where the dog/cat licenses are issued from, and/or check at the zoo.
These are the people who can help you.

Animal Services
12515 128 Street
Edmonton, AB T5L 1C9
Phone: (780) 496-8860
Fax: (780) 496-8824

1. What are the requirements for owning a pet in Edmonton, Alberta?

The City of Edmonton requires all pet owners to obtain a pet license for any dog, cat, or ferret over the age of 6 months. Owners must also provide proof of current vaccinations and register their pet with the city's Animal Care and Control Centre.

2. Are there any breed-specific laws in Edmonton?

Yes, there is a bylaw in Edmonton that restricts ownership of certain breeds deemed to be dangerous, such as pit bulls and Staffordshire terriers. These breeds require a special permit and must be muzzled and leashed in public.

3. Can I keep exotic pets in Edmonton?

In general, exotic pets such as reptiles, rodents, and birds are allowed in Edmonton as long as they do not pose a threat to public safety. However, exotic animals that are considered to be dangerous or prohibited by the federal government are not allowed.

4. What are the consequences for not following pet ownership laws in Edmonton?

Failing to license your pet or not complying with other pet ownership laws in Edmonton can result in fines and penalties. Repeated offenses can also lead to impoundment of your pet.

5. Are there any restrictions on where I can take my pet in Edmonton?

Yes, there are certain areas in Edmonton where pets are not allowed, such as playgrounds, sports fields, and designated wildlife areas. It is important to check for signs and follow any posted rules when bringing your pet to public spaces.