Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exp'al set-up

1. Aug 11, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    I went to my proff to ask for my master thesis, he told me that you yourself have to do the experimental set-up for EMISSION AND REFLECTION SPECTROSCOPY ,,,but I am not that experienxed, anybody knows is it an easy task or...???

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is all your prof said ??!!! :eek: Sadly, there's not enough information there for any of us to be able to help very much. Try and answer the following questions first :

1. What research happens at this lab ?
    2. Does the lab have any history of spectrophotometric measurements in the past, and if so, what equipment does it possess ?
    3. What systems are expected to be studied ?
    4. What are the expected signal strengths and what is the required level of accuracy ?
    5. What is the allocated budget ?

4. Aug 14, 2005 #3
    please don't take this the wrong way, but if you are asking an internet forum about how to go about your graduate research i think that you should strongly consider whether or not things are going to work out with this professor (or with yourself).

choose your mentor with care, or you may waste many years of your life.

5. Aug 14, 2005 #4
    1. What research happens at this lab ?
    this is a solid state research institute
    2. Does the lab have any history of spectrophotometric measurements in the past, and if so, what equipment does it possess ?
    they do raman scattering with solid samples probing for elementary excitations of electronic, lattice dynamical or magnetic origin
    3. What systems are expected to be studied ?
    this is new set-up they asked for, so i dont know what they are going to study, on solids (powder samples ) for sure.
    4. What are the expected signal strengths and what is the required level of accuracy ?
    no info.
    5. What is the allocated budget ?
    all needed tools are there, but scattered (laser sources, microscope,polarisers, electronic interface,etc) donno exactly the budget.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?