1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expanding a function

1. Jan 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi

I have sometimes seen a function f being written as
    [tex]
    f \approx f_0 + \varepsilon f_1(x)+ \varepsilon^2 f_2(x) + \ldots
    [/tex]
    where [itex]f_0[/itex] is an equlibrium value and all higher-order terms are non-equilibrium values (not derivates!). The assumption has always been that [itex]\varepsilon \ll 1[/itex].

My question is: Mathematically, I guess we are expanding the function f around its equlibrium value. But when I look at the expression for a Taylor expansion, I can't make this fit with anything.

Are we non-mathematicians even allowed to write the function like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2014 #2
    Thank you for using the (much prettier looking) \varepsilon for your epsilons. :tongue:

Well, us math-folk sometimes have a dislike for approximations and what you have written doesn't specify a domain or codomain (so we wouldn't technically call it a function by strict definition), but I see no other reason why you couldn't do that.

If your ##\{f_i\}## follow some sort of pattern, we can probably solve the limit $$f(x)=\lim_{n\rightarrow+\infty}\sum_{0\leq i\leq n}\varepsilon^if_i(x).$$

Can you give us more information? I'm interested in understanding what you're doing here.

4. Jan 10, 2014 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

That looks like an asymptotic expansion, not a Taylor series. In such expansions we usually don't care whether
    [tex]
    \lim_{N \to \infty} \sum_{n=0}^N \epsilon^n f_n(x)
    [/tex]
    even exists; what we're interested in is whether [itex]\sum_{n=0}^N \epsilon^n f_n(x)[/itex] for some finite [itex]N[/itex] is a sufficiently good approximation to some [itex]F(x,\epsilon)[/itex] when [itex]|\epsilon| \ll 1[/itex].

Generally the idea is to exploit a small parameter to turn a problem we can't solve analytically for [itex]F(x,\epsilon)[/itex] into a series of problems we can solve for the [itex]f_n[/itex].

5. Jan 10, 2014 #4
    Thanks for the help so far, both of you.

That is exactly how it is used in my case (a Chapman-Enskog expansion). But doesn't this require that the various terms [itex]f_n[/itex] are somewhat independent, so we can solve for each order independently?

6. Jan 10, 2014 #5
    Suppose you have a function of the two variables ε and x, f(ε,x) and you expand in a Taylor series in ε about ε=0. Then you get:

[tex]f(ε,x)=f(0,x)+ε\left(\frac{\partial f(ε,x)}{\partial ε}\right)_{ε=0}+\frac{ε^2}{2}\left(\frac{\partial^2 f(ε,x)}{\partial ε^2}\right)_{ε=0}+ ...[/tex]
    Then you can identify the functions in your summations with the partial derivative terms in this series.

7. Jan 11, 2014 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

The problem for [itex]f_n[/itex] should depend only on [itex]f_0, \dots, f_{n-1}[/itex], so that one can work forward from [itex]f_0[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted