Solving Low T, High B Behavior of (deltaE)^2 = C*[sinh(a*B)]^-2

In summary, the author is having trouble understanding the low and high temperature behaviour of the function " fec(x)". He is wondering if he can invert the relationship between sinh(x) and exp(x)/2 and square it to get a better understanding of how the function behaves. He is also wondering if there is a better way to represent the function than with terms in a series. If he can find one, it would be helpful.
Allday
I'm studying for the qualifying exam and I came across a problem that I'd be able to do in a snap if I had a computer running mathematica in front of me, but regretably I am having trouble with using good old paper and pencil and a reasonable amount of time. I want to look at the low and high temperature behaviour of the function

(deltaE)^2 = C*[sinh(a*B)]^-2

where B = 1/T and the rest are constants. I would like to know not just the limit, but the behaviur of the function. ie I could get that in the high T small B limit the function goes like T^2, I am having difficulty with the low T, high B limit. This is connected with the energy fluctiations of a quantum harmonic osccillator if anyone wants a reference point.

Any ideas?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
sinh(x)=(exp(x)-exp(-x))/2
so
sinh(x) goes like exp(x)/2 for x large

Last edited:
Thats a start. Are you suggesting that I invert that relationship and square it ? I don't know if that will work. The function e^x also can be expanded around the point zero. where its behaviour goes like 1 + x. For the high B regime I think you have to use the definition that B = 1/T and expand around a small number, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Allday said:
Thats a start. Are you suggesting that I invert that relationship and square it ? I don't know if that will work. The function e^x also can be expanded around the point zero. where its behaviour goes like 1 + x. For the high B regime I think you have to use the definition that B = 1/T and expand around a small number, but I'm not sure how to do that.
So you have
(deltaE)^2 = C*[sinh(a*B)]^-2
B large
(deltaE)^2 = C*[exp(a*B)/2]^-2
(deltaE)^2 = 4*C*exp(-2*a*B)
This goes like 0 (if a is positive).
If goes like 0 is not close enough I do not know what you would want as it goes to 0 pretty fast and it is difficult to find other representations.

It goes to zero as B becomes large this is true. But does it go to zero like 1/B like 1/B^2 ... that's the thing I'm trying to figure out. I am haven't played with it much today, thanks for looking at it. If I can clarify what I mean Ill post it

Allday said:
It goes to zero as B becomes large this is true. But does it go to zero like 1/B like 1/B^2 ... that's the thing I'm trying to figure out. I am haven't played with it much today, thanks for looking at it. If I can clarify what I mean Ill post it
It goes to zero exponentially. If you want an expansion in terms of rational functions, none will be useful as it goes to 0 faster than x^y for any negative y. How big is the B you want?
for instance
exp(-20)~2*10^-9

Ahhh, I get it now. I was thinking that even though it goes exponentially that there would be some power that would come out. Now I see that's impossible. The terms in the series just continure to grow so there is no leading term. Thanks for the help.

1. What is the equation "Solving Low T, High B Behavior of (deltaE)^2 = C*[sinh(a*B)]^-2" used for?

The equation is used in physics and materials science to calculate the energy fluctuations (deltaE) of a system at low temperatures (T) and high magnetic fields (B). It helps to understand the behavior of materials under extreme conditions, such as in superconductors or magnetically ordered materials.

2. How is this equation derived?

The equation is derived from statistical mechanics and the theory of quantum fluctuations. It takes into account the effects of temperature and magnetic fields on the energy of a system, as well as the interactions between particles.

3. What do the variables in the equation represent?

The variable deltaE represents the energy fluctuations of the system, T represents temperature, B represents magnetic field, C is a constant, and a is a parameter that depends on the properties of the material being studied.

4. Can this equation be applied to all materials?

No, this equation is specifically designed for materials that exhibit magnetic ordering or superconductivity. It may not accurately describe the behavior of other materials.

5. How can this equation be used in practical applications?

This equation can be used to predict and understand the behavior of materials under extreme conditions, which can be useful in designing new materials with specific properties. It can also be used to analyze experimental data and make comparisons between different materials.