Exploring the Mystery of an Expanding, Infinite Universe

In summary, the concept of the expanding universe does not refer to the universe physically getting bigger, but rather the distance between widely separated galaxies increasing. This can occur in both finite and infinite objects, as it is a pattern of distance-growth seen from the inside.
LSulayman
I'm reading a lot of stuff about the expanding universe, and also about it being infinte.
So now I was wondering:
How can the universe expand while it's infinte? (or am I asking something that nobody really know's the answer to?)

Space news on Phys.org
LSulayman said:
How can the universe expand while it's infinite?

You have to understand what the cosmologists who say "expand" mean by that word.

They mean that distances between widely separated galaxies are increasing.

On average the rate of increase is currently about 1/140 of one percent every million years.

They do not mean that you could stand outside the universe and see it get bigger!

They are talking about a pattern of distance-growth seen from inside.

LSulayman said:
How can the universe expand while it's infinite?

An infinite thing can have that pattern of distance-growth, just as easily as a finite thing.

It is expansion seen from the inside. So the thing does not have to be finite.

marcus said:
You have to understand what the cosmologists who say "expand" mean by that word.

They mean that distances between widely separated galaxies are increasing.

On average the rate of increase is currently about 1/140 of one percent every million years.

They do not mean that you could stand outside the universe and see it get bigger!

They are talking about a pattern of distance-growth seen from inside.

An infinite thing can have that pattern of distance-growth, just as easily as a finite thing.

It is expansion seen from the inside. So the thing does not have to be finite.

Thank you! I actually didn't know that, nobody really explains it in all the articles I read.

1. What is the current scientific understanding of the expansion of the universe?

The current scientific understanding is that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. This means that the distances between galaxies are increasing over time.

2. How do scientists measure the expansion of the universe?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the expansion of the universe, including analyzing the light from distant galaxies, studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, and observing the movement of objects in the universe.

3. What is causing the expansion of the universe?

The exact cause of the expansion of the universe is still a mystery. However, scientists theorize that it may be due to a force called dark energy, which makes up about 70% of the universe.

4. Will the expansion of the universe continue forever?

Based on current observations, it is believed that the expansion of the universe will continue forever. However, this is still a topic of ongoing research and there are alternative theories that suggest the expansion may eventually slow down or even reverse.

5. How does the concept of an expanding, infinite universe impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of an expanding, infinite universe challenges our traditional understanding of the universe as static and unchanging. It also raises questions about the ultimate fate of the universe and the possibility of other universes existing beyond our own. This idea has led to new scientific discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the cosmos.