1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expanding log(a+b)

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    anyoen know how to expand this? i can't think of any obvious way...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What kind of result are you looking for - functions of a and b separately? As it stands, it is as simple as possible.

4. Nov 2, 2005 #3

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's not much you can do. In some cases, it's useful to factor it as [tex]\log a+\log(b+1)[/tex], but in general there's nothing simpler than the way you wrote it.

5. Nov 2, 2005 #4
    i have a deceptively simple question you see:

X^3 = (cY+d)^2

where c and d are constants, with x and y the variables. how would you plot the 2 variables as a straight line graph. i'm having an idiocy attack and can only think "log it...."

6. Nov 2, 2005 #5
    Take the log of Y and graph x, log y.

7. Nov 2, 2005 #6
    that doesn't plot that relationship as a straight line though does it?

i was under impression you had to transform [said equation] into a y=mx+c type form

8. Nov 2, 2005 #7

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't plot things like [itex]x^3=y^2[/itex] as a straight line on a normal graph.

9. Nov 3, 2005 #8
    I didn't mean that would give you a formula, but if you had a set of data, you could find the regression by plotting x, log y. It's not the answer but it's a way to get it.

10. Nov 4, 2005 #9

uart

Science Advisor

No, none of log-log, log-linear or linear-log will make that equation a straight line.

What's the full context of the problem, do you have a number (more than 2) of x,y points and you wish to find constants c and d that give the "best fit" in some particular sense?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook