1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expanding Power Series

1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Expand f(x)= (x+x2)/(1-x)3

2. Relevant equations
    ???

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried everything I can think of to simplify this equation: substitution of various other power series, partial fraction decomposition, taking derivatives, multiplying out the denominator. It's driving me nuts. Thanks for any steps in a new direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, let's do this in steps. First, can you find the power series expansion of [itex]\frac{1}{(1-x)^3}[/itex]??

If you can't, try to use that

[tex]\frac{1}{1-x}=1+x+x^2+x^3+...[/tex]

and differentiate both sides.

4. Nov 30, 2011 #3
    I tried to find a power expansion for that term and found it as 2(1-x)^3, which would equal the power series (n^(2)-n)x^(n-2) from n=2. From here, I'm not sure if there is an equation for the numerator, or if there is a way to multiply the numerator into this equation in a way that makes sense.

5. Nov 30, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, and now you simply can do

[tex]\frac{x+x^2}{(1-x)^3}=x\frac{1}{(1-x)^3}+x^2\frac{1}{(1-x)^3}[/tex]

So exchange both terms of [itex]\frac{1}{(1-x)^3}[/itex] by its power series and multiply and add everything.

6. Nov 30, 2011 #5
    Oh wow. Thanks for your help, I guess my brain is rebelling against obvious steps. :blushing:

Ok, so now I have the sum of (n^2-n)x^(n-1) + sum of (n^2-n)x^n, both starting from n=2, and both expressions multiplied by 1/2.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  7. Nov 30, 2011 #6
    Ok, so I have the sums 1/2(n^(2)-n)x^(n-1) + 1/2(n^(2)-n)x^(n-1) from n=2. The next part of the question says I should relate (n^2)/(2^n) to the previous equation. Is there a simplification I'm missing?

8. Dec 1, 2011 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, you will have to put x=2. Try to rewrite the equation a bit to see if you get anything nice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook