Expanding Power Series for (x+x^2)/(1-x)^3 | Simplification Techniques

In summary: \frac{1}{(1-x)^3}=2x\frac{1}{(1-x)^3}+x^2\frac{1}{(1-x)^3}=2x\frac{1}{2^3}+x^3\frac{1}{2^3}=8x^6+16x^9=65536
clarinetqueen

Homework Statement

Expand f(x)= (x+x2)/(1-x)3

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried everything I can think of to simplify this equation: substitution of various other power series, partial fraction decomposition, taking derivatives, multiplying out the denominator. It's driving me nuts. Thanks for any steps in a new direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, let's do this in steps. First, can you find the power series expansion of [itex]\frac{1}{(1-x)^3}[/itex]??

If you can't, try to use that

[tex]\frac{1}{1-x}=1+x+x^2+x^3+...[/tex]

and differentiate both sides.

I tried to find a power expansion for that term and found it as 2(1-x)^3, which would equal the power series (n^(2)-n)x^(n-2) from n=2. From here, I'm not sure if there is an equation for the numerator, or if there is a way to multiply the numerator into this equation in a way that makes sense.

OK, and now you simply can do

[tex]\frac{x+x^2}{(1-x)^3}=x\frac{1}{(1-x)^3}+x^2\frac{1}{(1-x)^3}[/tex]

So exchange both terms of [itex]\frac{1}{(1-x)^3}[/itex] by its power series and multiply and add everything.

Oh wow. Thanks for your help, I guess my brain is rebelling against obvious steps. :blushing:

Ok, so now I have the sum of (n^2-n)x^(n-1) + sum of (n^2-n)x^n, both starting from n=2, and both expressions multiplied by 1/2.

Last edited:
Ok, so I have the sums 1/2(n^(2)-n)x^(n-1) + 1/2(n^(2)-n)x^(n-1) from n=2. The next part of the question says I should relate (n^2)/(2^n) to the previous equation. Is there a simplification I'm missing?

clarinetqueen said:
Ok, so I have the sums 1/2(n^(2)-n)x^(n-1) + 1/2(n^(2)-n)x^(n-1) from n=2. The next part of the question says I should relate (n^2)/(2^n) to the previous equation. Is there a simplification I'm missing?

Well, you will have to put x=2. Try to rewrite the equation a bit to see if you get anything nice.

1. What is an expanding power series?

An expanding power series is a mathematical series that represents a polynomial function as an infinite sum of terms with increasing powers of a variable. It is written in the form of a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ..., where a0, a1, a2, a3, etc. are coefficients and x is the variable.

2. How is an expanding power series useful in science?

An expanding power series is useful in science because it can be used to approximate and model complex functions, making it easier to analyze and understand real-world phenomena. It also allows for the calculation of values for a function at any point within its domain.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent expanding power series?

A convergent expanding power series is one in which the terms of the series approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases. This means that the series has a well-defined sum and can be used to approximate the function within a specified range. On the other hand, a divergent expanding power series is one in which the terms do not approach a finite limit, and the series does not have a well-defined sum. In this case, the series is not useful for approximation.

4. How do you determine the radius of convergence for an expanding power series?

The radius of convergence for an expanding power series is the distance from the center of convergence to the nearest point where the series diverges. It can be determined by using the ratio test, which involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series. If this limit is less than 1, the series converges, and the radius of convergence is the distance to the nearest divergence point.

5. Can an expanding power series represent any function?

No, an expanding power series can only represent functions that can be written as a polynomial. It cannot represent functions with discontinuities or infinite discontinuities, such as step functions or functions with asymptotes. Additionally, the function must be defined for all values within the radius of convergence of the series.