Solving Expanding Problem with Iron and Aluminium Cylinders

• Thread starter Skipe_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expanding
In summary, the problem states that an iron cylinder and an aluminum cylinder are located inside each other. The inner diameter of the iron cylinder is 80,00 mm and the inner diameter of the aluminum cylinder is 79,80 mm. The temperature is initially 20*C, and the question is asking at what temperature the aluminum cylinder will jam to the iron cylinder. Using the equation V=V0(1+\gamma\DeltaV), we can solve for the final temperature when the two cylinders have the same radius and are therefore jammed together.
Skipe_
I may write a bit rubbish English since it's not my native language but please ask if something sounds wrong or hard to understand.

Homework Statement

The inner diameter of an iron cylinder is 80,00 mm (millimeter) and the inner diameter of an aluminium cylinder located inside this iron cylinder is 79,80 mm. The temperature is 20*C. In which temperature the aluminium cylinder jams to the iron cylinder? I have tried to solve this multiple times yet never succeeded. How should I proceed?

Homework Equations

I'm pretty confident this'd be solved by the expanding of volume V=V0(1+[tex]\gamma[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]V)

The Attempt at a Solution

Haven't had any potential attempts so I'll leave this blank.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would use the linear expansion of the diameters. I don't think it matters that one is hollow because its circumference still expands at the same rate. Do you have the coefficients of expansion for the two metals?

Skipe_ said:
I may write a bit rubbish English since it's not my native language but please ask if something sounds wrong or hard to understand.

Homework Statement

The inner diameter of an iron cylinder is 80,00 mm (millimeter) and the inner diameter of an aluminium cylinder located inside this iron cylinder is 79,80 mm. The temperature is 20*C. In which temperature the aluminium cylinder jams to the iron cylinder? I have tried to solve this multiple times yet never succeeded. How should I proceed?

Homework Equations

I'm pretty confident this'd be solved by the expanding of volume V=V0(1+[tex]\gamma[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]V)

The Attempt at a Solution

Haven't had any potential attempts so I'll leave this blank.

If I understand you correctly, the aluminum cylinder is inside of the iron cylinder. The iron cylinder has a initial radius and the aluminum cylinder has an outter radius. Things are comfy at 20c and we want to increase the temp, allowing the aluminum cylinder to jam with the iron cylinder (assuming [tex]\gamma_(aluminum) > \gamma_(iron)[/tex]).

[tex]V=\pi r^2 L[/tex]
[tex]\pi r_f^2 L=\pi r_i^2 L (1+ \gamma [T_f-T_i])[/tex]

because L (the length of the cylinder) reduces to one it is not given (assuming the expansion in their lengths is negligible compared to the expansion in their radii). The situation we are concerned with is when [tex]r_f[/tex] is the same for both cylinders. Therefore, set the equations equal to each other and solve for [tex]T_f[/tex]

What is the purpose of solving expanding problem with iron and aluminium cylinders?

The purpose is to find a solution for temperature-related expansion in structures made of iron and aluminium, which can cause significant damage and structural integrity issues.

How do iron and aluminium cylinders help in solving the expanding problem?

Iron and aluminium have different coefficients of thermal expansion, meaning they expand at different rates when heated. By using both materials in a structure, the expansion can be evenly distributed, reducing the risk of damage.

What factors should be considered when solving the expanding problem with iron and aluminium cylinders?

Factors such as the temperature range the structure will be exposed to, the size and shape of the cylinders, and the materials used for connecting the cylinders should be considered. The coefficients of thermal expansion for both materials should also be taken into account.

Are there any drawbacks to using iron and aluminium cylinders to solve the expanding problem?

One potential drawback is the cost of using both materials, as iron and aluminium may be more expensive than using a single material. Additionally, if not properly designed and installed, the cylinders may still cause damage to the structure.

Are there alternative solutions to solving the expanding problem besides using iron and aluminium cylinders?

Yes, there are other options such as using composite materials or incorporating expansion joints into the structure. However, these alternatives may also have their own drawbacks and should be carefully evaluated before implementation.