1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expanding surface of sphere

1. Aug 26, 2007 #1
    a spherical balloon expands when it is taken from the cold outdoors to the inside of a warm house. if its surface area increases 19.4%, by what percentage does the radius of the balloon change?

I've tried this several times but im not sure how to go about beginning the work

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If I were doing this problem,
    I would write down quantities with labels like:

for the volume of the ball before...
    [tex]V_{before}=\frac{4\pi}{3}r_{before}^3[/tex]
    and, similarly, for "after".
    They can be compared by taking the ratio:
    [tex]\frac{ V_{after} }{V_{before} }[/tex].

How would you use this strategy with your particular problem?

What does "increases 19.4%" mean in terms of a ratio?

4. Aug 28, 2007 #3
    The increase in 19.4% means the difference between the new surface area and the original or we could write it as:

4(pi)R^2-4(pi)r^2 where R is the new(larger) radius and r the original radius

We also know that increase percentage is calculated on the original value which happens to be 4(pi)r^2.

Hence, {4(pi)R^2-4(pi)r^2}/4(pi)r^2 *100=19.4

Evaluate this and then find the relation only in terms of the ratio of the difference in radius to the original radius...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007
  5. Aug 28, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For this type of problem, it's more efficient to think in ratios of radii, rather than difference in radii.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?