1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion 1D Euler Eq.?

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    Expansion 1D Euler Eq.??

Trying to figure out an expansion step for 1D Euler Equations for unsteady gas flow.
    Continuity:
    [itex]\frac{\partial(\rho F)}{\partial t}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial (\rho uF)}{\partial x}[/itex]=0

After Expansion:
    [itex]\frac{\partial(\rho)}{\partial t}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial (\rho u)}{\partial x}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\rho u}{F}\frac{dF}{dx}[/itex]=0

I understand to go from step 1 to step 2, you divide by F; however, for Step 2 where is the third term coming from and what does it mean?

I have the same question for the momentum equation:
    Momentum:
    [itex]\frac{\partial (\rho uF)}{\partial t}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial (\rho u^{2}+p)F}{\partial x}[/itex]-[itex]p\frac{dF}{dx}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{2}\rho u^{2}f\pi[/itex] D=0

After Expansion:
    [itex]\frac{\partial (\rho u)}{\partial t}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial (\rho u^{2}+p)}{\partial x}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\rho u^{2}}{F}\frac{dF}{dx}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{2}\rho u^{2}f\pi[/itex] D=0

Again, where is the [itex]\frac{\rho u^{2}}{F}\frac{dF}{dx}[/itex] term coming from and what does it mean?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Expansion 1D Euler Eq.??

It would be helpful to us who aren't familiar with gas flow problems and notation if you would tell us what variables ρ, u, and F depend on. I'm going to assume, from what I see, that F doesn't depend on t but does depend on x.
    [tex]\frac{\partial(\rho F)}{\partial t} = \frac {\partial \rho}{\partial t}F[/tex]
    because F doesn't depend on t. But [itex]\frac{\partial (\rho uF)}{\partial x}[/itex] requires the product rule since [itex]\rho u[/itex] and F depend on x:
    [tex]\frac{\partial (\rho uF)}{\partial x}=F\frac{\partial (\rho u)}{\partial x}
    +\rho u\frac{\partial (F)}{\partial x}[/tex]

So if you differentiate the equation you get those three terms on the right above and you divide the equation by F. I didn't check your second question but I'm guessing it might be the same problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook