What does the expansion step for 1D Euler Equations for unsteady gas flow mean?

In summary, the expansion steps for the 1D Euler Equations involve dividing the equations by the variable F and using the product rule to differentiate terms that involve the product of other variables. The additional terms that appear in the expanded equations reflect this differentiation process.
fury902
Expansion 1D Euler Eq.??

Trying to figure out an expansion step for 1D Euler Equations for unsteady gas flow.
Continuity:
[itex]\frac{\partial(\rho F)}{\partial t}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial (\rho uF)}{\partial x}[/itex]=0

After Expansion:
[itex]\frac{\partial(\rho)}{\partial t}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial (\rho u)}{\partial x}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\rho u}{F}\frac{dF}{dx}[/itex]=0

I understand to go from step 1 to step 2, you divide by F; however, for Step 2 where is the third term coming from and what does it mean?

I have the same question for the momentum equation:
Momentum:
[itex]\frac{\partial (\rho uF)}{\partial t}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial (\rho u^{2}+p)F}{\partial x}[/itex]-[itex]p\frac{dF}{dx}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{2}\rho u^{2}f\pi[/itex] D=0

After Expansion:
[itex]\frac{\partial (\rho u)}{\partial t}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial (\rho u^{2}+p)}{\partial x}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\rho u^{2}}{F}\frac{dF}{dx}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{2}\rho u^{2}f\pi[/itex] D=0

Again, where is the [itex]\frac{\rho u^{2}}{F}\frac{dF}{dx}[/itex] term coming from and what does it mean?

Physics news on Phys.org

fury902 said:
Trying to figure out an expansion step for 1D Euler Equations for unsteady gas flow.
Continuity:
[itex]\frac{\partial(\rho F)}{\partial t}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial (\rho uF)}{\partial x}[/itex]=0

After Expansion:
[itex]\frac{\partial(\rho)}{\partial t}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial (\rho u)}{\partial x}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\rho u}{F}\frac{dF}{dx}[/itex]=0

I understand to go from step 1 to step 2, you divide by F; however, for Step 2 where is the third term coming from and what does it mean?

It would be helpful to us who aren't familiar with gas flow problems and notation if you would tell us what variables ρ, u, and F depend on. I'm going to assume, from what I see, that F doesn't depend on t but does depend on x.
[tex]\frac{\partial(\rho F)}{\partial t} = \frac {\partial \rho}{\partial t}F[/tex]
because F doesn't depend on t. But [itex]\frac{\partial (\rho uF)}{\partial x}[/itex] requires the product rule since [itex]\rho u[/itex] and F depend on x:
[tex]\frac{\partial (\rho uF)}{\partial x}=F\frac{\partial (\rho u)}{\partial x}
+\rho u\frac{\partial (F)}{\partial x}[/tex]

So if you differentiate the equation you get those three terms on the right above and you divide the equation by F. I didn't check your second question but I'm guessing it might be the same problem.

1. What is the 1D Euler Equation?

The 1D Euler Equation is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of fluids in one dimension. It is based on the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy, and is widely used in fluid mechanics and aerodynamics.

2. What does "expansion" refer to in the 1D Euler Equation?

In the 1D Euler Equation, "expansion" refers to the expansion of a fluid from a specified initial state. This is typically used to model the behavior of compressible fluids, such as gases, as they flow through a tube or channel.

3. How is the 1D Euler Equation solved?

The 1D Euler Equation is typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite volume methods. These methods discretize the equations and solve them iteratively to approximate the behavior of the fluid.

4. What are the applications of the 1D Euler Equation?

The 1D Euler Equation has a wide range of applications, including aerodynamics, gas dynamics, and supersonic flow. It is used to analyze the behavior of fluids in various engineering systems, such as aircraft, rockets, and turbines.

5. What are the limitations of the 1D Euler Equation?

The 1D Euler Equation is a simplified model and does not take into account factors such as viscosity and turbulence. It also assumes that the fluid is incompressible, which may not be true in all applications. Additionally, it can only be applied to one-dimensional flows, limiting its use in more complex systems.