Expansion Coeff. & Probability of E in Schrodinger Eq.

In summary, The square of the expansion coefficient (c_n) in the Schroedinger equation represents the probability density of an allowed value of E. However, this only applies to states with a single energy. In a superposition of states, the probability distribution can vary with time. This can be seen in the example of combining two stationary states in the one-dimensional "particle in a box" system. Professor Tim Hayes is the current QM professor at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
RPI_Quantum
In dealing with solutions to the Schroedinger equation, I have come across the so-called expansion coefficients (c n ). I have read that the square of the coefficient is the probability density of an allowed value of E.

How is there a probability of any given value of E? I know that in a stationary state, there are definite values of E, so how is there any probability involved?

Physics news on Phys.org
RPI_Quantum said:
In dealing with solutions to the Schroedinger equation, I have come across the so-called expansion coefficients (c n ). I have read that the square of the coefficient is the probability density of an allowed value of E.

Not the probability density. |cn|2 is the probability that the particle will be found in state n.

How is there a probability of any given value of E? I know that in a stationary state, there are definite values of E, so how is there any probability involved?

States need not be stationary. You can have a superposition of states with different energies. Of course, if the state is of a single energy, then the probability that the system will be found with that one energy is 1.

BTW, am I to take it from your name that you're taking QM at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute? If so, who's teaching it these days?

You can combine stationary states (in a linear combination) to get a non-stationary state in which the probability distribution "moves around". That is, the expectation value of x, <x>, is not constant, but varies with time.

A simple example is to take two stationary states of the one-dimensional "particle in a box" (infinite square well), say the two with lowest energy, and add them together:

[tex]\Psi (x, t) = \frac {1}{\sqrt {2}} ( \Psi_1 (x, t) + \Psi_2 (x, t)) [/tex]

(the [tex]\sqrt {2}[/tex] is to make the sum normalized, provided the two original wave functions are normalized to begin with)

Calculate the probability distribution for this wave function and you'll see that it oscillates with frequency [tex](E_2 - E_1) / h[/tex].

Hmm, Tom can type faster than I can, apparently!

Don't tell me it took u 4hrs to type 15 lines... :tongue2:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Don't tell me it took u 4hrs to type 15 lines... :tongue2:

Hey, I sweated blood over that LaTeX! :eek:

(besides, at 1:30AM I can't read very well... :zzz: )

Thanks guys. And Tom, Professor Tim Hayes is the QM professor. He has been teaching it since before I got here (I am a sophomore). I take it you are an alumnus?

RPI_Quantum said:
Thanks guys. And Tom, Professor Tim Hayes is the QM professor. He has been teaching it since before I got here (I am a sophomore). I take it you are an alumnus?

Yep, I took it with Gwo-Ching Wang.

1. What is the expansion coefficient in the Schrodinger equation?

The expansion coefficient in the Schrodinger equation refers to the numerical value that represents the probability amplitude of a particular energy state in the quantum mechanical system. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific energy state at a given time.

2. How is the expansion coefficient calculated?

The expansion coefficient is calculated by solving the Schrodinger equation using mathematical techniques such as the variational method or perturbation theory. This involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system.

3. What is the relationship between the expansion coefficient and probability in the Schrodinger equation?

The expansion coefficient is directly related to the probability of finding a particle in a certain energy state in the Schrodinger equation. The square of the expansion coefficient represents the probability of finding the particle in that particular state, while the sum of all the squared expansion coefficients must equal 1.

4. How do changes in the expansion coefficient affect the probability of finding a particle in the Schrodinger equation?

Changes in the expansion coefficient can significantly affect the probability of finding a particle in the Schrodinger equation. For example, if the expansion coefficient for a particular energy state increases, the probability of finding the particle in that state will also increase. Conversely, a decrease in the expansion coefficient will result in a decrease in the probability of finding the particle in that state.

5. What is the significance of the expansion coefficient in quantum mechanics?

The expansion coefficient is an essential concept in quantum mechanics as it allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular energy state. It also helps us understand the behavior and properties of quantum systems, making it a crucial tool in studying and predicting the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.